It is highly recommended that you hide pages you do not wish to use or take them offline. You can never be sure when page content will be valuable in the future. Hidden and offline pages are easily restored to active status. Deleted pages are gone forever, so delete seldomly.
Hiding Pages and Taking Pages Offline
While they both are represented by faded folders in the navigation page, "hidden" pages and "offline" pages are very different things. A hidden page is still live content, but no links to it are in the navigation. This is the best option if you want the only path to that page to be from hyperlinks within HTML Content Items elsewhere on the site. Keep in mind, a hidden page can be accessed via Google and other search engines. If you want to ensure no one sees that page make the page a hidden page.
To hide a page or take it offline, go to the Navigation Page and take the following steps:
- Click “Edit” on the navigation side. This will open a “Navigation Edit” dialogue box.
- To Hide Pages In the Navigation Edit dialogue box, select “Hide this navigation but leave its content on the site” – the middle radio button in the final section of the dialogue box.
- To Take Pages Offline In the Navigation Edit dialogue box, select “Hide this navigation and its content from the site " – the last radio button in the final section of the dialogue box.
- Scroll down to reveal the “Save” and “Cancel” buttons. Click “Save”.
- On the navigation side, click once on the name of the page you wish to hide. This will highlight the name.
You will see that the folder representing the page you want to take off-line is washed out, indicating it is hidden
Deleting pages is not recommended. It is just as easy – and much safer – to take the pages you don’t want to use offline. Pages are not backed up, and once you delete you are unable to bring the content back. Deleting a parent folder deletes all its child folders as well. Only delete those pages you have created, and never delete pages of type user control. These pages have content important that can, if deleted, cause broken pages and other problems.
If you must delete, doing so is simple. Go to the Navigation Page and perform the following steps.
- On the navigation side, click on the name of the page you want to delete. This will highlight the name.
- Click “Delete” (the slash-X) on the navigation side.
The page is gone.