Higher Logic’s New Admin Experience is coming soon!Learn More
NOTE: View the New Admin Experience version of this article.
If configured on your community site, users can earn points for most actions they perform, like writing or replying to a discussion thread, uploading files, and writing blog posts.
There are four types of points:
- Engagement Points are awarded based on user's activities
- Contribution Points are awarded when a user creates content
- Reputation Points are awarded when a user's content is recommended or marked as the best answer
- Volunteer Points are awarded when a user completes a volunteer opportunity
NOTE: See Set Up Engagement Criteria to learn how to manage point values for each activity.
While recognition is a large part of this system, another important aspect are Redeemable Rewards. If enabled on your community site, users can redeem these accrued points for real money or rewards, and this gamification feature acts as an incentive to spur engagement across your community site.
NOTE: While Higher Logic is the platform on which users accumulate these points, users need to redeem them on an external platform (such as Tango Card), and so this feature requires a relationship with an external platform. Create a support case if you have any questions.
Learn how to...
Super Admins can manage which point types contribute to these redeemable points (see Set Up Engagement Criteria), who can earn these redeemable points, and other configurations that meet their organization's preferences.
- Click Admin in the Webmaster Links menu.
- Click Admin.
- Select Redeemable Rewards from the Users menu.
If you're setting up a campaign for the first time, click Create Campaign to configure your reward campaign's settings:
- Decide who can earn them by selecting one or more Security Groups from the first menu.
- Set how many points equates to $1.00 USD (e.g., if you select 10, 10 points = $1).
- Select the point minimum necessary for redemption. For example, if you select 100, users must accrue 100 points before they can redeem. This also means that if a user has 350 points, they can redeem three times (unless a redemption limit is in place), at 100 points each, and will be left with 50 points.
- Decide whether you want to impose a redemption limit, and if so, how many times each user is allowed to redeem.
- If your organization has a volunteer program and it wants to award users extra points for participating in it, you can set a weight multiplier for volunteer points. Some organizations do this to provide extra incentive to participate in its volunteer program.
- Decide whether email notifications are sent to users once they reach the minimum points for redemption.
- Decide whether an email notification is sent to Super Admins when a user redeems a reward so they can quickly finalize the process. Select the Super Admin(s) responsible for this task in the menu below.
When finished, click Save to start your reward campaign. A summary of your configuration is shown for easy review.
Campaign editing is limited while active: you can only update the minimum points required for redemption and whether email notifications are sent out. To update the other settings, you first need to stop the campaign, which you can do by selecting End Campaign from the menu. Then, click Edit and make your changes.
Stopping a campaign is simple: just select End Campaign from the menu and confirm this action in the resulting dialog.
The campaign becomes inactive but its configuration settings remain in place, and it can be started again at any time by selecting Start Campaign from the same menu. You'll have an opportunity to make any changes to the campaign before starting it again.
NOTE: Users won't earn points on the day the campaign is stopped and will not accrue points until the next campaign. If a user has reached the minimum points for redemption, they'll still be able to redeem their points.
From your user profile, select Redeemable Rewards from the My Contributions menu.
From here, you can see how many points you've accrued, the minimum needed for a reward, and all of your recent reward activity. Once you earn enough points, click Redeem to "cash them in." An administrator will be notified of your redemption and will reach out to you shortly.
TIP: You'll receive an email notification as soon as you accrue the minimum points for a reward, ensuring you don't forget!
Super Admins can manually add/subtract reward points to/from a user, if an adjustment is needed. To do so:
- Navigate to their profile.
- Select Redeemable Rewards from the My Contributions menu.
- Click Manage User's Reward Points.
- Select the appropriate adjustment option, enter the number to add or subtract in the associated field, and click Save to finalize the change.