NOTE: This article is written with the assumption you know how to access your events, whether from a community or the Admin Interface. If not, see Manage Events to learn how.
Before we begin...
Let's establish the difference between canceling and deleting events.
- CANCELED events, and their data, remain in the events list but are marked "Canceled" and, depending on the event type, might send notifications.
- DELETED events are permanently and irrevocably removed from the system and the events list.
Cancel an event
From a community's Settings > Manage Events page OR the Admin interface's Events > List page:
- Click the event's dropdown menu, followed by Cancel Event.
- In the popup, click:
- Yes to cancel the event and notify registrants only.
- Yes and notify invitees to cancel the event and notify both registrants and those who have been invited to attend (but not yet registered). This option ensures everyone is notified who may have interest in the event.
IMPORTANT: The Yes and notify invitees button only displays if users have been invited to the event being canceled.
What happens after canceling an event
IMPORTANT: It's important to note that Higher Logic events are not "integrated" with any web-based (e.g., Google Calendar and Yahoo! Calendar) or standalone (e.g., Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird) calendar applications.
As a result, if you cancel an event, Higher Logic does not: send a cancellation or update an event file that had been downloaded from an Event Invitation email. If you cancel an event, registrants will have to update the event invitation on their own calendars.
- The event remains in the list but has the "Canceled" tag for easy visibility.
- All event data remains for historical record-keeping purposes.
- Email notifications are sent to registrants and invitees informing them of the cancellation, depending on how the event was canceled (refer to the Cancel an event section above to learn more).
- A canceled event cannot be "enabled" again.
- You can perform the following actions for canceled events: Manage Roster, Copy, and Delete. Copying a canceled event is a great way to make a new, active event with all of the canceled event's configuration settings (registrants and invitees are NOT copied over).
Event email notifications
To learn about the various event-related notification emails that are sent, as well as how to edit them, see Manage Event Email Templates.