You'll use the File Manager to insert and manage images, documents, videos, and other files while editing several types of content across your community site.
In this article, we'll take a high-level look at this tool, helping you understand how you and other Admins can use it to not only share files with each other but your community members as well.
One of the main features of File Manager is that it is a shared resource. This means that every file uploaded to it is available for all other Admins can access and manipulate as well.
- For example, if John uploads three files, Annie and Ed can download them, delete them, rename them, etc.
The benefit of this is that it allows all uploaded files to be accessible to everyone, making it easy for one Admin to share files that everyone else can then also use across your community site.
Access File Manager
You'll have access to File Manager when editing the following types of content:
HTML content items in the CMS
Images tab in Site Setup
At the top right of File Manager are several options you can use to quickly locate specific files (discussed from left to right).
- Refresh - Because the files in File Manager are a shared resource, click Refresh to update the list and view any files or folders other Admins may have uploaded or removed since you first opened File Manager.
- List view - This is the default view, which shows files in a list.
- Thumbnails view - Click this to view the files as thumbnails, which is especially helpful for locating images.
- Sort - You can sort the files by: Name, Size, Type, or Modification date.
- Modification date refers to any change to a file, such as its initial upload date, cutting and pasting it to a different folder, renaming it, etc.
- You can also click the column headings to sort.
- Search - Standard search allowing you to locate files based on their file names. To remove a search query, simply delete it and press enter to auto-refresh back to the full file list.
Click Upload to upload one or more files to File Manager. Uploaded files will be accessible and manageable by any other Site and Super Admins.
File Manager comes with a basic image editor, which you can access by selecting an image file and clicking Edit.
- Use this editor to make simple adjustments to the image, such as resizing, cropping, and applying a variety of filters.
- When done, click Save to either replace the file or make a copy.
Image editing options
Organize your files
Let's take a look at the various ways you can manipulate your files to keep them organized.
One of the best ways to keep your files organized is by grouping them in folders.
- Create a folder via the Create > Folder option.
- All custom folders will always display at the top of the list for easy access, no matter the current sort option.
- When viewing a folder, the "path breadcrumbs" are clickable links at the top, as shown below. Click anywhere in the path to return there.
To access the Manage menu, you must first select at least one file via its checkbox.
- Cut - Add the file(s) to the clipboard, where they can then be moved to a different folder via Paste.
- Copy - Add the file(s) to the clipboard, where they can then be copied to the same or different folder via Paste.
- Paste - Paste copied or cut files.
- Rename - Rename the selected file. Note that you can only rename a single file at a time.
- Add Favorite - Add the selected file(s) to the Favorites list. All favorited files are shared among Admin users (e.g., if John favorites two files, Billy will also see them in the Favorites list).
- Remove - Delete the selected file(s) from File Manager. This action cannot be reversed.
NOTE: You can also use the Remove option to delete custom folders. Folders must be empty before they can be deleted.
- Select a single file and click Download to download it to your computer's default download location.
- Select multiple files and click Download to automatically zip the files to your computer's default download location.
- Select one or more files and click Zip to package the files as a zip file right in File Manager. The zip file will be placed at the bottom of the list and automatically selected.
- Zipped files can be downloaded via the Download option.
- Zipped files can be manipulated like any other file (copied, pasted, renamed, etc.).
- Note that immediately upon zipping files, the resulting zipped file cannot be deleted until the list is refreshed.