In this article, you'll learn how to create an Automation Rule that will automatically add users to a Security Group in an HL-managed community. This will eliminate the need for you or other admins to do the work manually.
EXAMPLE: Check out Manage Automation Rules to learn more about accessing and managing your Automation Rules.
Before we begin...
This article is meant for customers leveraging HL-managed communities, not AMS-managed communities. What's the difference?
- HL-managed communities do not interact with a membership database, or AMS (e.g., NetForum, Aptify, Personify, etc.). They are created solely on the Higher Logic side, and membership is managed through the community settings on our platform only.
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Automation > Automation Rules.
- Click Create.
- Configure the Rule as shown in the images below:
- Select the Add to a Security Group option from the first dropdown.
- From the every contact who dropdown, select a criterion to pinpoint which users to add to your Security Group (TIP: use the search field to quickly find a criterion). In our example, we selected "is a member" because we're going to target all users in our community.
- With your criterion selected, click Add. The page will reload and additional options will appear.
- Next, select Add to the > [your desired Security Group]. This is where you're telling the system which Security Group to add the users to.
- Below, you'll notice the criterion you selected a moment ago, along with a text field to further filter users based on their Role. Configure your criterion as appropriate.
- At this point, you've selected one criterion to target the group of users to add to your Security Group. If needed, you can repeat these steps to choose additional criterion to further segment your users. If you add multiple criterion, you can use the And/Or toggle to control whether they function as "AND" conditions or "OR" conditions. In our case, we're targeting users who are members who ALSO live in Arizona, so we'll use the AND condition.
- Click the Calculate Who Qualifies button to check who the Automation Rule will affect. Once calculated, you can click the blue numbers to check who will be added to or removed from the Security Group, based on your current criterion.
- Next, you can decide how this Automation Rule affects users who already belong to your chosen Security Group but no longer meet its criteria. Click the dropdown shown below and select to either remove them or let them stay.
- Give your Automation Rule an appropriate name so its easily identifiable and its purpose is clear (e.g., "Add [these users] to [X Security Group]").
- Lastly, decide whether to just Save the Rule and have it run according to your Automation Rule schedule (see Automation Rule Settings) OR select Save and Run Now from the Save dropdown to have it run (nearly) instantaneously. If you're planning to have it run according to your schedule, make sure to also enable the Schedule toggle at the top of the page (the toggle will be green).