Group Manager includes the Community Ad Builder widget, which Super Admins can add to a page to allow Community Admins to display ads on their community landing pages or community microsites.
Add the Community Ad Builder widget
Only Super Admins can add this widget to a page.
TIP: The steps below explain how to add this widget to a specific community page; you can also make this widget available to ALL Community Admins simultaneously by adding it to the main Community Home page in the CMS (Page Code groupdetails).
To do so:
- Navigate to the page you want to add the widget to.
- In the Webmaster Links menu, click add to this page to access the CMS.
- Configure the new content item as desired (name, layout section, permissions, etc.). Then:
- In the Type of Content menu, select Widget.
- Set the category to Community.
- Select the Community Ad Builder widget.
- Configure the widget's options:
- Ad Banner Size - Select from a variety of shapes and sizes, including buttons, half and full banners, rectangles, squares, and skyscrapers. Choose an option appropriate for the size of the ads to be displayed. This defines the size of ads admins should upload (e.g., use Skyscraper for tall ads that will be placed on the side of the page).
- Display Border - Controls whether a border displays around the ad(s).
- Group Count - Sets how many ads will display at once per rotation cycle.
- Max Number of Active Ads - Defines the total number of ads admins will be able to create in the widget control.
- Rotation Interval - Defines the length of time, in seconds, between ad rotations.
- Click Save to add the widget to the page.
EXAMPLE: The ad criteria defined above is indicated in the widget control so admins understand the maximum size of ad they can upload, how many they can upload, and how they'll display:
Upload an Ad
Once the widget is added to a page, Community and Super Admins will see the Create Ads button in the widget control.
NOTE: Images must be a .GIF, .JPG, .JPEG, or .PNG. In addition, they'll be automatically sized to the shape and size specified in the widget control settings (Ad Banner Size option).
NOTE: Ads are isolated to the Ad Builder widget to which they're uploaded; this enables the display of unique ads on a community-by-community basis.
To upload an ad(s):
- Click Create Ads.
- Click Add in the Manage Ads pop-up to upload your first ad. You can add images from a variety of sources, like your device or network, via a URL, and third-party sources like Facebook, Google Photos, Instagram, and more. Add additional images by repeating this step as many times as needed.
- After uploading an ad, you can configure it's details:
- Ad Name - This name is for internal tracking purposes only.
- URL / Link - Enter the URL for the page you want displayed when the ad is clicked.
- Pop-up Help Text - This is the text displayed when users hover over the ad, and is a great way to provide more detail about the ad.
- Once you've uploaded your ad(s) and configured their details, click Close have them display in the widget control.
Manage your ads
All ads uploaded to a Community Ad Builder widget can be managed from a single place: The Manage Ads window. To access it, click Manage Ads from the widget control.
Your ads are organized as either Active or Inactive, and are stored in the corresponding tab:
- Active ads are currently being displayed in the widget control.
- Making ads inactive prevents them from being displayed, and is a great alternative to permanent deletion if you think they may be useful again in the future. On the Inactive tab, they can be made active again at any time or deleted.
On either tab, their associated ads are listed below, along with their details. Each ad has an actions menu where they can be edited, deleted, and made inactive/active (depending on the tab).
In addition, you can set the order of your ads by clicking-and-dragging their headers to the desired location. This also controls their rotation order in the widget control.
If at least one ad is displayed in a Community Slideshow widget, this is also where new ads can be uploaded via the Add button.