Group Manager includes the Community Slideshow widget, which Super Admins can add to a page to allow Community Admins to display images in a rotating slideshow on their community landing pages or community microsites.
Add the Community Slideshow widget
Only Super Admins can add this widget to a page.
TIP: The steps below explain how to add this widget to a specific community page; you can also make this widget available to ALL Community Admins simultaneously by adding it to the main Community Home page in the CMS (Page Code groupdetails).
To do so:
- Navigate to the page you want to add the widget to.
- In the Webmaster Links menu, click add to this page to access the CMS.
- Configure the new content item as desired (name, layout section, permissions, etc.). Then:
- In the Type of Content menu, select Widget.
- Set the category to Community.
- Select the Community Slideshow widget.
- There are no widget options to configure, so click Save to add it to the page.
Create an Album
Once the widget is added to a page, Community and Super Admins will see the Create Album button in the widget control.
NOTE: Created albums are not unique to the Community Slideshow widget where they are created; instead, they're added to the "pool" of available albums that can be added to any Community Slideshow widget, regardless of location.
To create an album:
- Click Create Album.
- Give your album a name.
- Configure the slideshow's settings. Decide whether:
- Image thumbnails are shown in the album.
- Users can download the album's images.
- Image names and descriptions are displayed.
- The images automatically rotate or not, and if so, they're rotation interval.
- Click Add Images to begin adding your images. You can add images from a variety of sources, like your device or network, via a URL, and third-party sources like Facebook, Google Photos, Instagram, and more. Add additional images by repeating this step as many times as needed.
- Click Save to create the album, making it available to display in the widget control.
Display an Album
Created albums are not automatically shown in the widget control and must manually be selected by a Community or Super Admin.
NOTE: Created albums are not unique to the Community Slideshow widget where they were created; instead, they're added to the "pool" of available albums that can be added to any Community Slideshow widget, regardless of location.
To display an album:
- Click the widget control's drop-down arrow and select Display an Existing Album.
- In the resulting pop-up, select the album from the menu.
- Click Save.
You'll now see the album's images in the widget control:
Manage your Albums
All of your created albums can be managed from a single place: The Manage Albums window. To access it, select Manage Albums from the widget control's menu.
Your albums are organized as either Active or Archived, and are stored in the corresponding tab:
- Active albums are either available for display in a Community Slideshow widget or are already in use. This distinction is displayed in the Status column. If in use, click the green info button to see where.
- Archived albums are not available for display. Archiving albums prevents them from being displayed, and is a great alternative to permanent deletion if you think they may be useful again in the future. On the Archived tab, they can be made active again at any time or deleted.
On either tab, their associated albums are listed below, along with details like their image count, last update timestamp, and current status. Each album has an actions menu where they can be edited, deleted, and archived/made active (depending on the tab).
If an album is displayed in a Community Slideshow widget, this is also where new albums can be created via the Add Album button.