Role-based email addresses are "generic" email addresses that are usually assigned to a mailing list or a position (i.e., a job title), rather than a person, in a company or organization.
EXAMPLE: info@, sales@, accounting@, support@ are role-based email addresses.
When you perform a bulk upload of email addresses in Communications Enterprise, either manually or through an integration upload job, the system automatically rejects role-based email addresses because they notoriously cause high bounce rates and spam complaints which can have a negative impact on your organization's deliverability.
Rejected email addresses report
The system will automatically provide a report of any records that were rejected during an upload job (manual or integration). Access the report in Settings > Reports > Upload & Export Job Status.
- In the Uploads section, locate the file that was generated by your upload job. (You might have to click Display Previous Uploads to expand the section.)
- If there were any rejects, a download icon (down arrow in a red circle) will display in the Details column. Click the icon to download and save the "rejects" text (xxx.rej.txt) file.
Add role-based addresses
If you want to add a role-based address, you can add it individually by navigating to Contacts > List, and then following the instructions in Manage Contacts (Communications Enterprise).
We recommend using this work-around in situations where you're emailing internally, within your own organization.
TIP: If the role-based address that you want to add was provided by one of your subscribers or customers, then, to avoid unnecessary bounces and spam complaints, we recommend that you contact that subscriber or customer and request the email addresses of any individuals who want to receive your messages.
Add multiple role-based addresses
If you find it necessary to add multiple role-based addresses, follow the steps below.
- Download the .xlsx file, Role-based_Email_Addresses_CommsEnt.xlsx, that is attached to this article; save it to your device.
- Open the file, enable editing, and delete all of the rows that you do not want added to your account.
- Save and close the file.
- Create a case with Customer Support and request that the included role-based email addresses be added; attach your updated .xlsx file.
NOTE: These "exceptions" will remain intact for all of your account's upload jobs (manual and integration); they will not be overwritten or negated by future uploads.
Role-based email address list
Attached is a complete and current list of the role-based email addresses that get blocked by the Communications Enterprise system.