Your surveys can present answers and questions to respondents in a random order. You can choose to randomize the order of answers within a question, questions within the survey, both, or neither.
In the interface, this is referred to as “randomization,” which means the ability to put questions/answers in random order. All respondents will still be presented with all questions.
Randomize survey answers
To randomize answers for a question:
- When editing a survey, click the Edit button for the question.
- Under Row Options, check the box Click here to randomize the order of answers.
- In the new column that appears, Select to Randomize, check the answers you would like randomized.
- Unchecked answers retain their current position.
Randomize survey questions
To randomize questions when editing a survey:
- Go to Survey Properties and open the Randomize Questions section.
- Check Click here to randomize questions.
- This opens a dialog with randomization options.
- Select whether to randomize questions across all pages or within the original page.
- Across all pages will move questions between different pages.
- Within original page will keep the same questions on the same page, but randomize them.
- Select which questions you would like to randomize.
- Unchecked questions retain their current position.
- Click Submit when you are done.
- To edit your randomization options, click the same checkbox under Randomize Questions.
- There will now be a new checkbox at the top to turn off randomization.
- If randomization is turned on for questions, a Randomize Question section will be available when you edit the question.
- Check or uncheck the box in this section to turn randomization on or off.