Profile Fields are where you store attributes about your contacts. These include free-form fields, called personal information, and picklists, called demographic categories. You can also create flags to indicate if a contact is a member of an interest group or an opt-out group.
You can create the following field types:
- Personal Information - Accommodates a variety of data types. It's used as a personalization field in messages, and can be used for targeting too. See Personal Info Profile Fields.
- Demographic Category - Has a limited set of values. A few examples would be gender, state, or country. See Demographic Category Profile Fields.
- Interest - These fields help you to organize your contacts. They also enable you to build interest-based target groups to which you can send messages. See Interest Profile Fields.
- Opt-outs - These allow contacts to indicate they wish to stop receiving a certain type of message, as opposed to universally unsubscribing from all your messages. See Opt-Out Profile Fields.
To manage your Profile Fields:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Contacts > Profile Fields.
TIP: On list pages, click a column header to sort on that column. Click the columns count below the list to add and remove columns in the current view.
Edit a field
- Select a Profile Field and click Edit.
- Make your updates. The options available to update depend on the Profile Field type. Refer to the Field types section above for links to articles discussing each Profile Field type in more detail.
- Click Save.
Delete a field
- Select a Profile Field and click Delete.
- In the dialog, click Yes to confirm the deletion.
WARNING: This action is irreversible.
NOTE: You shouldn't delete Personal Information fields. Why? Because if a field is used in data formats or target groups, that information will become incomplete and MA Professional won't be able to read it. If you do try to delete the information, MA Professional will display an error message.
NOTE: Give careful consideration before deleting Demographic Category fields. If it's used in a Data Format or Compound, you'll want to be aware of this. MA Professional will display an error message if you try to delete a Demographic Category that's in use somewhere else in MA Professional.
All of your Profile Fields are organized in the list by type. To filter which field types are displayed:
- Click the filter icon.
- In the dialog, select a type from the menu.
- Click Apply.
TIP: To remove the filter and restore the original list, click the filter icon again, click Clear Filter, and click Apply.
Search for fields
If you have a lot of Profile Fields, you may want to take advantage of the search filter to quickly find a specific one.
- Click the search icon to expand the search field.
- Enter your alpha and/or numeric query; you can search on the Name and Type columns. Results display automatically as you type.
TIP: To restore the original list, click the X icon in the search field.