Interest target groups let you manage your subscribers according to their interest preferences (see Interest Fields). An interest target group is automatically created when you create an interest on the Profile Fields page or during the subscriber upload process (see Subscriber Upload).
Interest target groups can also be created manually on the Target Group page. Interest target groups should be built to manage subscribers into lists that represent a certain area of interest for your audience or into lists that represent a certain type of message that the subscribers in the group should receive. These lists can act as distribution lists for messages or they can be built in as opt-in/opt-out groups that allow you to manage which types of messages the subscribers receive.
In this article, you'll learn the two common ways to build interest target groups:
- Manually build the target group
- Assign an interest target group during subscriber upload
Manually create an Interest target group
- Navigate to Subscribers > Target Groups.
- Click Create.
- Select Interests from the menu.
- Click Create in the pop-up.
- In the Add Interest pop-up:
- Enter a Name for your interest.
- Click the Target Group Folder and select a folder to store the target group. If the existing folders don't meet your needs, you can click Edit and create a new folder.
- Optionally, enter a Description for the interest.
- Click Save to create your new interest target group in the selected folder.
Assign an Interest during subscriber upload
- Navigate to Subscribers > Upload > Upload Subscribers.
- Continue through the upload steps to Step 3 - Select Interests.
- Highlight an Interest from the Available Interests menu and click Select >> to move it into the Selected Interests menu. (Similarly, highlight an interest from the Selected Interests menu and click Remove << to remove it.)
- If you need to create a new Interest, you can do so right from this pop-up:
- Enter a name in the Create new interest field.
- Click the Select Folder menu to select a folder to store it.
- Click Add to create the Interest.
- A confirmation pop-up opens. Click OK to confirm. The new interest appears in the Selected Interests menu (the target group is created automatically).
- Click Upload.