Web Tracking is a powerful tool that enables your organization to better understand how users visit and use your site. Additionally, it allows you to send targeted emails to your users based on their activity.
NOTE: Web Tracking is very similar to Google Analytics. If you're already using Google Analytics, the Communications Professional Web Tracking code will not conflict with it. Now, you will have the power of all of that data available to build Target Groups and to feed campaigns based on how your subscribers interact with your site.
What can you track?
You can track three types of website activities:
- Page Views - Visits to individual pages and visit duration.
- Page Interactions - Interactions on your website (e.g., filling out forms, playing videos, downloads, etc.).
- Online Purchases - E-commerce and product transactions (membership renewals, certification purchases, donations, store purchases).
Before you start adding the code, there are some initial planning steps to consider:
- Place the Page Tracking code in an area of your site that is accessible by ALL pages (this is typically the header or footer of each page).
- Identify the key interactions you want to monitor – interactions that Communications Professional will track so that you can further tailor your targeted mailings and campaign flows. Here are some examples:
- Who is accessing your event calendar?
- Who is downloading a key white paper?
- Who is using a specific search term?
- Who is visiting an event landing page?
Look for interactions that will identify the intent or level of interest of the user. But don't go overboard: Tracking too many interactions will make them difficult to interpret.
To assist you, a spreadsheet is available on the Web Tracking page that will help you map and organize the Interactions you want to track. To access it:
- Classic admin interface - Setup > Web Tracking
- New Admin Interface - Settings > Setup > Web Tracking
Custom code that has been customized to work with your Communications Professional account is provided for you on your site. To access it:
Classic admin interface - Setup > Web Tracking
New Admin Interface - Settings > Setup > Web Tracking
- From here, click the View Instructions button for a domain.
The resulting page includes three snippets of code specific to the domain you clicked:
- Page Tracking Code
- Interaction Tracking Code
- Purchase Tracking Code
Depending on what you want to track, one or all of these must be in place for you to begin using Web Tracking for a domain.
WARNING: Do NOT use the code samples below! They are examples only!
Page Tracking Code
Interaction Tracking Code
This code is used to track website Interactions. As you navigate your site, add a row to your spreadsheet (Admin > Setup > Web Tracking > View Instructions) for each Interaction you want to track. Note that the combination of Category and Action should have a unique identifier for the interaction for your entire site. Your website administrator will use the code samples below to fill-in the code column in the spreadsheet before making the website updates.
Purchase Tracking Code
This code is used to track purchasing information on your site.
- Call addItem for each item of the purchase that you want to track.
- Call trackTrans once per page to submit all of the addItem calls to Communications Professional.
TIP: Before you start tracking, consult the example website in your account to a see a fully working page that you can use as a basis for your own implementation!
Step 2 - Add the domains you want to track
- Navigate to Admin > Setup > Web Tracking.
- Click Add New Domain and complete the fields.
Enter the name of the domain you want to track. Do not include anything before the actual domain name (e.g. http://, https://, or www).
|IP Addresses to Ignore||If you have any internal IP addresses that are likely to hit the website regularly, you can filter these so that they do not store/trigger additional activity (their activity could potentially skew reports). This information can be updated at any time.|
|Parameters to Retain||If navigation within your website occurs by changing a parameter on the URL (e.g., Wordpress), you can enter the name of the parameter(s) so that the tracking recognizes this as a separate web page.|
- Click Add Domain.
NOTE: If a domain has been set up, and information has been collected, that information persists in Communications Professional, even if the domain is later removed. Already-collected data is not deleted.
- Click View Instructions to view a custom page that provides all of the information that you need to submit to your web developers.
- Once your web developers have successfully added the Web Tracking code to your website, you can navigate to Marketing Automation > Web Tracking to view the details for all of the sessions on your website.
Good marketing automation is not about sprinting; it's about setting up campaigns that will go the distance! Web Tracking will provide you with another method to create target groups to feed your campaigns, or to generate new and dynamic lists of subscribers that are interacting with your website.