Branch Logic allows you to create a more advanced survey where answers to particular questions result in follow-up questions, resulting in a survey better-tailored to the respondent's answers and leads to more insightful responses and information.
EXAMPLE: The question “Which day will you attend?” appears on Page 2 of a survey; the choices are Wednesday and Thursday.
– If the answer is Wednesday, the survey ends and goes directly to the Thank You page.
– If the answer is Thursday, the participant is directed to answer an additional question on another survey page created specifically for this purpose.
Of course, using branch logic does require extra planning and thought. Surveys with this advanced feature need at least one direct (non-branch logic) flow in order to work. They also require at least two survey pages for the flow of the survey to branch.
Define branch logic
Add the requisite page/questions
Continuing on with our example from above, you now need to create the follow-on page if they answer "Thursday." In this example, we'll name it Page 2A because it follows Page 2.
Next, add a question related to the Thursday answer from Page 2.
Define the flow logic
The flow logic step determines how the survey should "flow" based on the responses from the survey-taker.
NOTE: It can be helpful to use a whiteboard or paper to map out the survey logic flow. This will help as you put all the pages together and assign each page flow.
Select each page that is involved in a branch and apply the path it takes. To continue with the example, click on the Page 2A link to tell the survey what has to happen to get the survey-taker from Page 2 to Page 2A.
Select the Choose Branch Logic option and select the answer that will take a person to the additional question created on Page 2A.
NOTE: There must be a Default Path for every grouping of pages. In this case, the Default Path proceeds from Page 2 to the Thank You Page.
Change branch logic
If you need to update or change the branch logic in your survey, you'll use the survey wizard to update the Thank You page and the survey question page. Both updates are done from the same page by simply selecting different buttons
Modify the Thank You page
- Navigate to Modules > Surveys > View.
- Select a survey to edit it.
- Click the Thank You Page button.
- Check the boxes associated to pages you want to flow to the Thank You page.
- Click Update.
Modify the Survey Question page
- Navigate to the Survey Question Page that contains the question you want to use to branch on.
- Click Next at the bottom of the page.
- Click the page to edit the branch logic on the page that contains the question you are branching from.
- Select Choose Branch Logic in the Page Branching pop-up window.
- Select the answer for the selected question that you want to branch on.
- Click Submit to save.