Once your surveys are created, tested, and ready to go live, you need to determine how to share them. Two of the main ways are as a link in a mailing and/or a web page.
Add a survey link in a mailing
Placing a survey link directly into a mailing enables very useful tracking (e.g., who completed it). As an added benefit, Marketing Automation Professional's (MA Professional) action-based target group feature allows targeting based on specific answers given to specific questions.
- Navigate to Mailings > View and create or edit the mailing you want to add the survey link to.
- Determine the text or image you want to use as the link.
- Select the Insert Hyperlink toolbar button.
- Click the Hyperlink Type menu and select Survista Pro Survey.
- Click the Survey menu and select the survey to link to.
- Enter a name for this hyperlink. This will appear on the mailing activity report.
- If necessary, check the Protected box to require a password to use this hyperlink.
- Click Insert Hyperlink.
NOTE: The survey link must be inserted into the email using the Insert Hyperlink tool to capture subscriber results and action-based target group options.
Tracking email addresses
Once you've inserted your survey into a mailing, you may be wondering how MA Professional tracks the unique email addresses associated with that mailing. When subscribers click a survey link in a mailing that was inserted via the Insert Hyperlink tool described above, MA Professional attaches a unique survey ID for that subscriber; this enables each subscriber to be tracked based on the ID. The URL generated with the unique ID will look something like this:
<a href="http://www.higherlogic.com/survistapro/s.asp?id=1488&u=%%UID%%" class="Survey Link">marketing campaign</a>
Make sure you see the code %%UID%% in the URL. This is where the subscriber and the survey tie together.
NOTE: The IDs generated are unique to the subscriber receiving the email. If that subscriber forwards the email (and someone else takes the survey), the original subscriber's answers are overwritten.
In addition, always use the steps above to insert a survey. Never copy a survey link and directly place it in a mailing, as this prevents MA Professional from using any personalized data in the survey.
Create anonymous survey links
There are times when you want to use a broader survey to gather information. In those situations, you probably won't know all of the survey-takers. Alternatively, you may wish to offer an anonymous survey so that the respondents can feel free to share their opinions without fear.
You do that in MA Professional by using just the survey link.
- To post a link to the survey in a mailing (without linking to the subscriber), on your website, or on social media channels, go to the Live tab.
- Select the URL in the Live Survey Link column.
- Paste the copied URL into the desired location.
This method does not connect back to an individual subscriber in your MA Professional account. These responses will all be considered to be anonymous.
NOTE: If you do want to track your survey response back to a particular subscriber, refer to the Add a Survey Link in a Mailing section above.