NOTE: View the New Admin Experience version of this article.
Super Admins can create and manage Discussion ads in the Advertising section of Admin.
Where to manage your discussion ads
- Click Admin in the Webmaster Links menu.
- Click Admin.
In the Advertising menu, you can access the Campaigns and Discussion Ads pages, each of which are discussed in their associated section below.
The Campaigns page is where you create campaigns to display ads in Discussion threads and their associated emails across your site (e.g., subscription emails, digest emails, etc.).
After creating a campaign, you then need to go to the Discussion Ads page and apply it to the Discussion(s) where you want its ad(s) to display.
NOTE: Campaign ads only appear in Discussions and/or their associated emails; if you want to display ads on your website pages, see Advertisements - Website Ads.
On the Campaigns page, you can:
- Click Add to create a new advertisement campaign (refer to the table below for descriptions of each campaign-creation option).
- Click an existing campaign's Edit button to update its settings.
Create an ad campaign
After clicking Add, you can configure the ad campaign using the options below.
|Campaign Name||The ad campaign's name (only displays on this page).|
|Sponsored By||If an ad is sponsored by a third-party or other affiliate, this enables you to note this information for internal use.|
NOTE: This option currently has no function and will be deprecated in a future release.
Select whether this is a Post or Banner ad:
Select the ad image's source:
|Contact Email||Enter the email address for the ad's point-of-contact. This is for internal use only.|
|Website Address||If you want to hyperlink the ad to a website, enter its URL here. When clicked, users are redirected to the URL in a new browser tab.|
Enter a Friendly URL for the ad, which is simply a version of the URL that's easier to read and remember.
EXAMPLE: Instead of:
Apply Campaigns to Discussions & Email
Once created, you can apply a campaign to Discussions and/or their associated email on the Admin > Advertising > Discussion Ads page; once applied, its ad displays in the specified location(s).
Apply a campaign
- Select the desired ad campaign from the menu at the bottom of the page.
- Select the Discussion(s) to apply it to (hold Ctrl to make multiple selections at once).
- Click Assign. Your selections appear above, where you can manage them when needed.
Where do ads display in Discussions?
This depends on whether it's a Post or Banner ad:
- Post ads display next to each post within a Discussion thread (e.g., if there are six posts, the ad is shown six times).
- On the other hand, Banner ads are singular, and only display at the top of the Discussion thread.
Where do ads display in emails?
Ads configured to display in email appear in Discussion emails like Real-Time, Daily Digest, and Consolidated emails.
By default, ads appear at the bottom of these emails, as shown below, but you can change their location on the Admin > Communities > Digest Configuration > Discussion Template page. See Manage Your Digest Email Templates for more information.