In this guide, you'll learn how to manage third-party event promotion via your Real Magnet integration. This guide covers:
- Preparing your data for a marketing automation campaign
- Configuring your marketing automation campaign
- Measuring your marketing automation campaign’s success
NOTE: This guide is only relevant if you're using netFORUM's Events tool.
Step 1 - Prerequisites
- You need the Real Magnet Upload Scheduler (RMUS) enabled for your account. If you're not already integrated with Real Magnet or lack the scheduling function, contact Customer Support.
- You need Marketing Automation and Fixed Send Date Event Promotion functionality.
- You need to configure your event in netFORUM with the confirmation code snippet and email@example.com in the BCC field
- Have you prepared your data?
- Configured columns from netFORUM
- Configured custom fields in Real Magnet
- Scheduled the upload of data
- Have you created your event with firstname.lastname@example.org in the BCC field?
- Have you created your messages?
Step 2 - Preparing your data
Scheduling the upload of data
The first step is to configure your individual query to upload to Real Magnet. You’ll want this information to be up to date and current. You can create an upload job in Tools > netFORUM Management:
- Ensure that this upload includes the columns Email Address and Primary Key.
- Schedule a daily or hourly upload.
You'll need to prepare other aspects of your data depending on the content of your message. Personalized messages tend to perform better than a salutation of “Dear Member,” for example, so in this case you’ll want to ensure that netFORUM has the correct first names for your registrants so you don’t end up with a “Dear ___ ."
You’ll also want to ensure that data is being overwritten.
Step 3 - Configuring your campaign
When you install the Real Magnet netFORUM integration, you can associate a number of your individual queries without run-time parameters to a group in Real Magnet. These are called upload jobs. Each time these upload jobs run, the Real Magnet application makes a request to your xWeb site. The time it takes for these queries to run can vary based on the complexity of the query variables and your hosting environment. The most basic variables that must be included in a query are:
- Email Address
- Primary Key
Once the upload jobs have been configured, you’ll move on to creating your Marketing Automation campaign. Every campaign should have a clearly defined goal and action. Once a recipient reaches a goal, there should be a clear path for what happens next. In this example, the goal will be when a recipient receives the confirmation email after they've registered for the event.
Creating a Fixed Send Date Event Promotion Campaign
You’ll need to create a Fixed Send Date Event Promotion campaign, which sends a series of emails driving prospective registrants to register for an event.
- The campaign keys off of groups in Real Magnet
- You set the number of messages to send
- Recipients continue to receive messages until they either register or go through the entire campaign without registering
A prospective registrant is considered “Registered” when they receive the confirmation message. Therefore, it's critical to configure the confirmation message properly.
To create this campaign:
- Navigate to Automation.
- Enter a campaign name.
- Click Go.
- Select your industry.
- Select the Fixed Send Date Event Promotion Campaign Type.
- Click Select.
- Select who is in the campaign. In this example:
- Recipients in a Group
- Both encompasses those who exist in the group at this moment and those who may be uploaded at a later date
- For the goal, select I will use E-mail notification code.
- Select how many messages are in your event-promotion campaign. In our example, there are seven messages (these are merely an example and not a recommendation for your campaign):
- Save the Date Message 100 Days Before Event
- Early Bird Special Message 90 Days Before Event
- Early Bird Special Message 60 Days Before Event
- Regular Registration Message 40 Days Before Event
- Regular Registration Message 30 Days Before Event
- Regular Registration Message 20 Days Before Event
- Regular Registration Message 10 Days Before Event
- Click Next.
- On the resulting page, review your campaign. At this point, you can also test the campaign.
- Click Next.
- Select Schedule Start Date for a Future Date.
- Schedule your campaign to begin at least an hour before your first message is scheduled to send.
- Click End Manually.
- Click Deploy Campaign.
Creating your confirmation template
Once you have the confirmation code, (it should look like this: ( ==RM:5678995656666==)), you’ll want to update the confirmation template in netFORUM: Embed this code somewhere within the message and add email@example.com to the BCC field.
Step 4 - Tracking your results
Real Magnet Tracking
You can track the results of this campaign in Real Magnet. To do so:
- Navigate to the Automation dashboard.
- Select the Campaign.
- Click Track.
You’ll see an overview of the campaign similar to this:
This information is also sent back to netFORUM.
Real Magnet Tracking in netFORUM
The tracking result of a message is the only information to report back to a child form in netFORUM (this includes opt-out information). This tracking information updates once per day. The Real Magnet tracking data is displayed in netFORUM under the Correspondence tab:
Frequently asked questions
|How do I know that the campaign goal has been met?||When the recipient receives an email with firstname.lastname@example.org in the BCC AND the campaign's specific confirmation code.|
|How can I exclude individuals from being sent to?||
Once an individual registers, they won't receive any future messages. However, you may have individuals who opt to no longer receive event promotional emails. If your unsubscribe type is Message Category, once they unsubscribe they will be excluded. Otherwise, you’ll need to select those individuals in the filter out category of:
Once someone is enrolled in a campaign, they never really leave. It’s best to either exclude recipients by creating a group of these recipients and excluding them on send or suppressing them.