NOTE: View the New Admin Experience version of this article.
At any time, you can add and remove custom Demographics to and from your site's user profiles, giving your organization complete freedom over the types of information you want to capture from your members.
You can create and manage custom Demographics on the Demographics page, located in the Admin interface.
How to access the Demographics Page
- Click Admin in the Webmaster Links menu.
- Click Admin.
- Select Demographics from the Users menu.
From here, you can create and manage custom Demographics (called Categories) that can be added to your site's user profiles.
Create a Demographic
Creating and publishing a custom demographic requires four steps:
Step 1 - Create & configure settings
- Click Add.
- Configure its settings. Click View Settings to learn more about each option.
|Name||Give your Category a name.|
|Description||Describe your Category.|
|Show Description on Profile||Controls whether users can see the description added above on their profile.|
Controls whether users can select more than one value.
|Include in Networks||
Controls whether an automatic network is created when two or more users choose the same value(s).
|Allow Free Text||
Controls whether users can enter their own demographic value(s), in addition to selecting the created value(s).
|Applies to People||Controls whether this demographic can be added to user profiles.|
|Applies to Companies||Controls whether this demographic can be added to company profiles.|
NOTE: The remaining fields apply only to Mentor/Mentee profiles, and can be ignored if you don't use the Mentoring module.
|Mentor/Mentee May Have Different Values||Controls whether users who are both a Mentor and Mentee can choose different values for each role.|
|Required for Mentor Enrollment||Controls whether users must complete this Demographic to become a Mentor.|
|Required for Mentee Enrollment||Controls whether users must complete this Demographic to become a Mentee.|
|Required for Mentor/Mentee Match||Controls whether a Mentor and Mentee must have chosen the same value(s) to match.|
- Click Save to add your new Demographic to the list.
Step 2 - Add values to your demographic
- Click your Demographic's Edit Choices button.
- Click Add Choice and add your first value: Give it a name, a description (optional), and click Save. Simply repeat this to add any additional values. When finished, click Finished to add them to the Demographic.
Step 3 - Order your Values
By default, Demographic values are ordered alphabetically. If your values don't require a specific order, you can skip to Step 4; if they do, select Organize by Priority from the menu highlighted below. Then, assign numbers from 1 (highest priority) to 1000 (lowest priority).
NOTE: When ordering by priority, any values without set priorities will display after those with set priorities and be sorted in alphabetical order.
Now, when users add one or more values for this Demographic on their profile, they'll see them listed in the priority you set.
NOTE: Ordering your values by priority also determines their order if added to your site search.
Step 4 - Publish your demographic
You need to publish your custom demographics to make them live and/or searchable on your community site.
- Click the drop-down next to your Demographic and select Manage Publication. Make your desired selections to:
- Add your Demographic to the profiles on the site you're currently editing or ALL sites (i.e., your main site and any Microsites).
- Make your Demographic searchable on the site you're currently editing or ALL sites.
- Click Save to make your selections live.
NOTE: Select Manage Publication again at any time to remove a Demographic from your site(s) and search(es).
NOTE: All Demographics added to your site(s) are searchable via an Advanced Search.