By default, a Library has a single base folder where all uploaded Entries are stored; however, Community and Super admins can create additional folders to organize a Library's Entries however needed.
The main thing to understand is that, while you can view a Library's Entries in either List View or Folder View, you can only create folders and move Entries in Folder View.
View a library in Folder View
NOTE: Refer to the How to Upload & Download Files page to learn more about the difference between List View and Folder View.
- Navigate to the desired Library.
NOTE: Resource Libraries are almost always associated to a community, but stand-alone Libraries can be created (though this is not generally recommended).
- A Library's default view is List View, but as mentioned above, you can only create new folders in Folder View. So, click this button to switch.
- If you've used the CMS to create new pages or content, you'll recognize the Folder View interface. Folders are displayed on the left, while their associated Entries are shown on the right. All Libraries have a base folder which defaults to the name of the community or Library, and any additional folders created exist as children of this parent folder. Library Entries with only a single file show an icon specifying the file type (e.g., PDF, MSWord, JPG, and other standard icons); Entries with multiple Entries have a unique icon that looks like stacked paper.
Use the two buttons highlighted below to either create a new folder at the current level or nest a child folder underneath the selected folder. After adding a folder, you'll be able to rename it to whatever you want (you can rename a folder at any time in the future as well).
If no custom folders have been created for a Library, all of its content is stored in the main folder, by default. Over time, it's likely you'll want to create folders to store specific types of Library Entries and/or move existing content from one folder to another to help keep them organized.
Move folders within a library
To relocate an existing folder within a library, make sure you're in Folder View, and then:
- Select the folder to be moved.
- Click the Scissors (Cut) button (there's no visual indication when cutting a folder).
- Identify the location where you want the folder to be located:
- Click this to paste the folder on the same level as the selected folder. In this case, the Annual Conference Images folder will move below the Archive - Notes folder but be on the same level.
- Click this to paste the folder as a child of the selected folder. In this case, the Annual Conference Images folder will become a sub-folder to the Archive - Notes folder.
Move content from one folder to another
To move content from one folder to another
NOTE: You can only move one Library Entry at a time.
- Select the folder where the content you want to move is stored.
- The folder's content is shown on the right. Select the content you want to move.
- Click the Scissors (Cut) button (there's no visual indication when cutting an Entry).
- Select the folder where you want to move the content.
- Click Paste.
Add an Entry to a specific folder
If a Library has custom folders, they'll be selectable in the Folder menu when creating a new Entry, as shown below.
Access Entries in a specific folder
When viewing a Library from the default List View, Entries are not organized by folder; instead, they're simply listed by their upload date. So, if you want to view Entries by folder, you need to switch to Folder View
NOTE: You can also edit the Library Entry List widget and set the Default View setting to Folder View.