By default, a Library has a single base folder where all uploaded Entries are stored; however, Community and Super admins can create additional folders to organize a Library's Entries, if needed.
The main thing to understand is that, while you can view a Library's Entries in either List View or Folder View, you can only create folders and move Entries in Folder View.
View a library in Folder View
NOTE: See the Upload & Download Files article to learn about the difference between List View and Folder View.
- Navigate to the desired Library.
- A Library's default view is List View, but as mentioned above, you can only create new folders in Folder View. So, click this button to switch.
- Folders are displayed on the left, while their associated Entries are shown on the right. All Libraries have a base folder which defaults to the name of the community or Library, and any additional folders created exist as children of this parent folder. Library Entries with only a single file show an icon specifying the file type (e.g., PDF, MSWord, JPG, and other standard icons); Entries with multiple Entries have a unique icon that looks like stacked paper.
Use the two buttons highlighted below to either create a new folder at the current level or nest a child folder underneath the selected folder. After adding a folder, you'll be able to rename it to whatever you want (you can rename a folder at any time in the future as well).
If no custom folders have been created for a Library, all of its content is stored in the main folder, by default. Over time, it's likely you'll want to create folders to store specific types of Library Entries and/or move existing content from one folder to another to help keep them organized.
Move folders within a library
To relocate an existing folder within a library, make sure you're in Folder View, and then:
- Select the folder to be moved.
- Click the Scissors (Cut) button (there's no visual indication when cutting a folder).
- Identify the location where you want the folder to be located (refer to the image below):
- Click this to paste the folder on the same level as the selected folder. In this case, the Annual Conference Images folder will move below the Archive - Notes folder but be on the same level.
- Click this to paste the folder as a child of the selected folder. In this case, the Annual Conference Images folder will become a sub-folder to the Archive - Notes folder.
Move content from one folder to another
To move content from one folder to another
NOTE: You can only move one Library Entry at a time.
- Select the folder where the content you want to move is stored.
- The folder's content is shown on the right. Select the content you want to move.
- Click the Scissors (Cut) button (there's no visual indication when cutting an Entry).
- Select the folder where you want to move the content.
- Click Paste.
Add an Entry to a specific folder
If a Library has custom folders, they'll be selectable in the Folder menu when creating a new Entry, as shown below.
Access Entries in a specific folder
When viewing a Library from the default List View, Entries are not organized by folder; instead, they're simply listed by their upload date. So, if you want to view Entries by folder, you need to switch to Folder View