Does your organization host daily, weekly, and/or monthly events? Rather than manually creating each one, you can create a repeating event to produce a series of individual events, greatly reducing your workload.
Create a repeating event
In order to create a repeating event, you need to complete two primary steps:
Step 1 - Set up Event Type
First and foremost, an Event Type must be configured to allow repeating events. Either edit an existing Event Type or create a new one and set the Allow Repeating Events option to Yes.
NOTE: Every registration process supports repeating events except Full registration events.
Step 2 - Create the repeating event
Now, when creating an event of this Type, you'll be able to configure it as a repeating event: simply set the Repeating Event? option to Yes and configure when and how the event repeats.
Manage repeating events
Creating a repeating event produces a series of events. When it comes to managing a repeating event:
- Many details can be updated and applied to ALL events at once via the Save & update all events in this series button.
- Each event in a series can also be individually managed, enabling you to update details like each event's description, website URL, location/attendance information, and contact information. This ensures you still have the freedom to personalize each event in the series, if needed. Do this via the Save & update this event button.
To manage a repeating event, navigate to your community site Events > Manage Events page.
From here, each event in the series is listed and will, by default, have the same basic details, including event name. Because of this, the easiest way to find them is to search by its name.
TIP: You can also click a repeating event's # of events link to view each event in the series, making it easy to edit a specific event.
As you can see, each event in the series has an Edit button to update its details and an Actions menu where you can perform other typical event-management actions associated to its registration process.
TIP: Please refer to the FAQ below for more information about managing repeating events.
How do users only register for a specific event and not the entire series?
Each individual event within a series has repeating event icon (looks like a calendar) next to its title. Clicking this icon displays a pop-up that lists all events in the series. From here, users can navigate to, and register for, individual events in the series.
Why did RSVP'ing to a repeating event automatically RSVP me to each event in the series?
This only happens if you RSVP to the parent event (i.e., the first event in the series). This is intended functionality so you can quickly RSVP to every event in a series rather than manually having to do so for each one; however, if you're only going to attend specific events in a series (i.e., its children), you can RSPV to them individually.
You can only also create repeating events for the following registration processes: Simple registration, External registration, and No Registration. The described functionality is only applicable to RSVP events. For other repeating event types, you need to register for each event in the series individually.
What details can be edited for repeating events?
Whether an event has registrants or not is a defining factor as to what can be updated. Here's a breakdown of what details can and cannot be edited:
- Event Type and Timezone cannot be changed if there are registrants.
- Start Date can be changed for individual events (via the Save & update for this event button), but not for the entire event series, regardless of registrants. When changing the Start Date, the event needs to maintain its place within the repeating event series. For example, if the event is the first event in the series, changing its start date cannot make it the second or fourth event in the series.
- Start and End Time can be changed for the entire series regardless of registrants. Only future events in the series will be changed. If there are registrants, they will receive the Changed Event Details email notification.
- If no registrants, you can update the event's associated community.
- Location can be changed for events in the series using the Save & update all events in this series button regardless of registrants. Only future events in the series will be changed. If there are registrants, they will receive the Changed Event Details email notification.
- Title and Description can always be updated regardless of registrants. Only future events in the series will be changed. If there are registrants, they will receive the Changed Event Details email notification.
- Registration dates and Pricing can be changed for individual events in the Pricing dialog.
- This is applicable to Simple registration events.
- This is not applicable to RSVP, No registration, and External registration repeating events.
- You cannot update the values in the Repeating Event? area once the event series is saved/created:
Why can't I delete the entire event series?
Entire event series can only be deleted if there are no registrants.
The events in the series can be canceled regardless of registrants but needs to be individually. Registrants are notified if the event is canceled.