A Tag is an attribute that is assigned to a recipient from a Marketing Automation Enterprise (MA Enterprise) campaign based on a certain set of conditions being met (e.g., they've clicked a link, submitted a Landing Page, accumulated over 100 points, etc.). You can create as many Tags as needed, with common examples being “Engaged,” “Prospect,” or “Member.”
Once a recipient has been tagged, a number of options open up to you:
- You can search and filter your recipients based on Tags. For example, you could quickly find all recipients with the "Engaged" tag, which is defined as someone who has opened five emails in the last six months.
- You can use tags as criteria for campaign enrollment. To continue our example, let's say you want to ensure all of your "Engaged" recipients are invited to your upcoming webinar. This is easily achieved by using this Tag as the enrollment option for your webinar campaign.
To create and manage your Tags:
- Navigate to the Automation tab.
- Click Manage Recipients Tags in the left sidebar.
- In the pop-up, you can:
- Click Add New to create a new Tag.
- Select a Tag and click Edit to update it's name and/or description.
- Select a Tag and click Show Recipients to see every recipient assigned with that Tag. Not only do Tags enable you to assign an attribute to your recipients but also to quickly filter across your entire database to find specific groups of users with a particular attribute. From here, you can also add these recipients to a specific group and export them to a .csv file.
- Select a Tag and click Delete to remove it.
Tagging users via a campaign
Tags can be assigned via a variety of Marketing Automation campaigns. One of the most valuable use-cases is a Segmentation campaign, which allows you to tag users who perform a certain action. For example, if a recipient opens X message, give them X tag (see image below).
This is an easy way to filter and segment your audience based on the actions that they take. For example, if they click a link in a specific section of your weekly newsletter, filter them into a group who's clearly interested in that specific content. This provides valuable information you can later use for other marketing campaigns and segmentation targeting.
Enrolling recipients based on Tags
All users who have been tagged can easily be enrolled in a campaign. When creating or editing a campaign, select the Recipients who receive a tag enrollment option, and then click the Select Tag(s) link to the right to choose your Tag(s).
NOTE: When editing a campaign, click the Add Members block to choose your member enrollment option.