Most email clients will not allow embedded content to display. While HTML5 does allow some items to be added with the canvas tool, this method is not reliable across platforms. For this reason, we recommend that you link to your video and use an image of it as a placeholder.
Step 1 - Get an image of your video
- Navigate to where the video is hosted.
- Your video must be hosted online to be embedded in an email.
- If your video is hosted on YouTube, it will be playable within Gmail.
- Take a screenshot of the video.
- Move the play marker to make sure the video is paused during an attractive screenshot.
- While on the video's web page, use the Print Screen button to take a screenshot of the video. (For Mac: cmd+shift+3 or cmd+shift+ 4)
- Edit the screenshot in any image editing program.
- You can use the Aviary image editor available through Communications Enterprise.
- Recommended edits:
- Crop the image to size.
- Leave the video player controls visible in the picture.
- Position a play button onto the screenshot.
TIP: If you're embedding a YouTube video, you can download their play button icon from their downloads page.
Step 2 - Hyperlink your video from the image
- In Communications Enterprise, click to select the Zone in which you want to place the image, and then Edit the zone
- Place your cursor where you want the video link located, and then click the Insert image button. Follow the prompts in the dialog to insert the image.
- Click to select your inserted image, and then click Insert Link.
- Enter the URL to where your video is hosted, set the Target to Open link in new window, set any other desired options, and click OK.
- Save your email message.