By creating a Profile, you can quickly add UTM parameters to any URL in a message, you can also configure the Profile to be automatically applied to a specified domain or domains.
- The first step to creating a profile is to click on the Messages Tab, click on Track Options located in the left navigation menu, and then finally clicking on Google Analytics.
- The next step is to create a Domain List. This is a list of domains that the Profile can be automatically applied to when you are working on a message. Click (create new).
- Enter a name for your Domain List and then enter all the domains you want to associate with the Profile. When you are done, click Submit.
- Next, we will configure a Profile. To begin, click the (create new) link next to Profile.
- Enter a name for your Profile and then check the box next to Goal Conversion. The application will insert variables that have been found to be typically selected.
Inputting Your Own UTM Variables
a) Enter a name for your Profile and leave the Goal Conversion box unchecked
b) In the Value column, enter the value for each of the UTM variables. You need to enter a value in at least one of the fields, but you do not need to enter a value in all the fields.
c) You can also insert key words to allow for dynamic URLs. To insert a keyword, click the Insert Keyword(s) link. For example, you could choose to dynamically include the Message Name as a UTM variable.
IMPORTANT: Do not use any keywords that may contain personally identifiable information and you should not have any spaces in the keyword. For example, you would not use the “From Address” or “Email” keyword when creating a profile as they would contain personally identifiable information. You would also not want to use “Message Name” if the name that you gave your message contains spaces (e.g., ‘event registration email’).
d) After you have created your Profile, click Submit.
- Choose the Profile that you want to associate with your domain list by clicking the Profile drop down menu.
- Check the box in the Auto Apply column if you want your Profile automatically applied to any domain entered in the Domain List. You can click the Details link located to the right of the Domain List to view the domains in the list or to make changes. You can click the Details link located to the right of the Profile name to view the UTM parameters in the Profile or to make changes.
- After you have completed creating your profile, click Submit.
Analytics Profile Review
Let’s review all the parts of the Analytics Profile:
- This is the list of domains that your profile will be automatically applied to if the Auto Apply box is checked.
- Click this Details link to view and make changes to the domains in your Domain List.
- The list of available Profiles. Shows the Profile currently associated with the Domain.
- Click this Details link to view the UTM parameters associated with the Profile and to make changes to the profile.
- Checking the Auto Apply box will automatically apply the UTM variables in the Profile to any domains listed in the domain list.
In the image above, the UTM variables in the “Events” Profile will automatically be appended to any domains listed in the “Event Registration” Domain List because the Auto Apply box is checked.