Pre-populating surveys and forms can dramatically improve your response rate. Real Magnet provides the ability to automatically pre-populate surveys and forms with the data in Real Magnet. Pre-population works only for recipients who receive an email and click on the link to fill out the survey. It cannot be applied to anonymous submissions.
Mapping and Merging Data into Forms
You can merge data into “1 Line Text Box” or “Multi-Line Text Box” question types only. From the main question/field creation pop-in, select either of these options.
The option to “Associate this field with a field in Real Magnet” appears at the bottom of the page along with a pull-down menu. From the pull down menu, select the field in the Real Magnet database to be associated (i.e. mapped) with the field that is being created.
The page will refresh and two more options appear:
Merge data into form
If you want to merge data from Real Magnet into the form, select “Yes”. If you select “No”, the field is left blank and whatever data a recipient inputs will be written back to the Real Magnet database (e.g. “How many people does your company employ?”).
Users can have data updated automatically or only after review. Select the option that best suits your needs.
Click the submit at the bottom of the page and the merged form field is created.
An Important Note About Mandatory Fields
Your natural inclination may be to make merged fields mandatory. A potential downside exists under the following scenario:
An updated field is a blank (e.g. respondent’s old address had a value for the “address 2” field, but her new address does not). If the “address 2” field were mandatory, respondent could not submit the form without placing a value in that field.
You must choose the option that best suits your particular campaign.
Filtering, Reviewing, and Updating Changes
Users are given two options regarding how data is updated: automatically (upon submission by respondents) or only after review. Users select the latter option when creating the form field.
Reviewing Respondent Data
For users who choose to review changes, the review and update process can be performed on individual respondents and/or entire lists. Filtering options make it easy to identify the respondents who have modified their data.
Users can generate lists of respondents who changed any data in the form, or respondents who changed data associated with a specific field or fields.
- In the Track a Message page, click the Track Surveys link in the left navigation bar.
- Next, select the survey you want to track.
- Access the filters by clicking the Filter icon in the top right corner. Choose the option “By modified data”.
Review and Update Lists
This option allows users to update a specific field or fields for an entire list.
Once a list is generated, an Update Data link appears at the top and bottom of the list. To update the data:
- Click the Update Data link, and a page like the one below will appear.- need image?
- Next, select the check box in the Update column to the right of the field or fields to be updated.
- Next, click the Update Data link and those fields with marked check boxes will be updated in the records of target list members.
Review and Update Individual Records
To review and update an individual record:
- Create a list either by using a filter or clicking the Details link in the upper right corner. This generates a list of all respondents.
- Click the Details button at the end of the row for the appropriate respondent.
- The individual record appears (see figure below). The left column, Data Submitted from Form, contains the values submitted by respondent. The right column, Data in Real Magnet Record, contains the values that currently exists in the Real Magnet database.
- If the respondent changed the data, the word, “changed,” appears to the right of the field name and a check box—selected by default—is displayed at the far right. If the respondent made no changes, the values in columns 1 and 2 will be the same and no check box will appear.
- After reviewing, click the Update Data button and all items containing a selected check box will be updated.