A template is like your mailing's stationery or letterhead. It ensures that your mailings are sent with a consistent, properly-branded look that renders well on different email programs and devices. Additionally, because a template is reusable, each template will greatly improve your efficiency when creating new mailings. And, by incorporating responsive design into your templates, your mailings become mobile-friendly.
The following are the main elements that go into the design of a template:
- Logo image
- Header image
- Table of Contents
- Story structures
- Opt-Out Links
- Unsubscribe Link
When you create a template, you'll notice there are two primary options:
- Standard - Designs that only support one content location.
- Advanced - Designs that can support many content locations.
Content locations always look something like this:
%%LOC(INFORMZ CONTENT HERE)%%
While both template types are useful, a great advantage to Advanced templates is that they support multiple, custom-named content locations. This means that you can easily name your content locations based on their position or purpose in a mailing.
EXAMPLE: You might label three different content locations as "Main Story," "Second Story," and "Third Story." Likewise, you might create labels based on the physical location in a mailing ("Main Story," "Sidebar," "Monthly Updates").
While there are lots of things that a non-designer can accomplish when working with a template in the Informz editor, having a designer create your templates is a best practice. Be sure that your designer understands that the HTML used for an email template can behave differently than the HTML used for a website. Create a case if you have any questions about the HTML in your template.
Working with Templates
- Navigate to Mailings > Templates > View.
- Hover over the menu icon to the left of the desired template to view the available options:
- View - Click to view the template in a preview window.
- HTML - Click to access the template in the HTML editor.
- Text - Click to see a text version of the template.
- Style - Click to modify the template location styles.
- Properties - Click to modify the fundamental settings of the template. The Friendly From, From Email Address, and Reply-To Address are key settings for every template, and will default to the System Settings value if left blank.
- Copy - Click to make an editable copy of the template.
- Delete - Click to remove the template.
To create a new template, navigate to Mailings > Templates > Create.
Select Standard for a simpler template or Advanced for a template that can accommodate multiple story locations.
NOTE: See Creating Templates to learn more about creating templates.
Using the Template Gallery
As an alternative to creating a template, you can also select a template from the Template Gallery. This is a great way to get started - especially if you don't have access to a designer.
Navigate to Mailings > Templates > View. On the resulting page, click the Visit the Template Gallery button at the top-right.
NOTE: See Template Gallery to learn more.
Templates are organized into folders. Click the up/down arrows to view your available template folders. Select one to view only the templates in that folder.
To create a new folder, click Edit. In the resulting window, complete the form to create your custom folder.
NOTE: See Create Custom Templates Folders to learn more.