NOTE: This article is for customers with the New Admin Experience interface (vertical left-navigation bar).
If your interface is different, view the "classic" version of this article.
Link Labels are system-based labels that you assign to hyperlinks in your email messages and social sites. Having your hyperlinks ("links") labeled enables you to categorize the links that you want grouped for easier management.
Use cases and reports
Having your links labeled (for example, Annual_Conference) makes it easy to:
- Run campaigns that target recipients who clicked on a link with a specific label.
- For example: Run a campaign that targets all email recipients who clicked a link labeled Annual_Conference; the campaign encourages the recipients to attend your annual conference.
- Generate and view reports that focus on the activity on all the links with a specific label.
- For example: Run a report that shows the number of sent messages that contained the link labeled Annual_Conference, how many of those messages were opened, and how many times the Annual_Conference link was clicked.
Link Label Reports
Link Label Reports are available on the Marketing Automation Search page, which is accessed via Campaigns > Search.
To learn how to view performance metrics for your labeled hyperlinks, see Marketing Automation Search.
Watch the video
Using Link Labels
Link Labels can be added to hyperlinks in:
- Messages (i.e., "stand-alone;" non-Campaign),
- Templates (to save time by not having to add them to Messages), and
- Messages that are sent as part of a Campaign, Landing Page Campaign, or Engagement Campaign.
TIP: REMEMBER - Anything that is included in a Template will be automatically "inherited" by Messages that are based on that Template; this applies to Link Labels!
NOTE: There's no limit to the number of Link Labels you can have.
Link Label versatility
Link Labels are a particularly useful feature because they are not a one-to-one application. You can take advantage of their versatility to simplify the tracking of your link clicks. When setting up your Link Labels, consider:
- A label (such as Product Store) can be applied to multiple links/URLs, e.g.:
- A link/URL (such as www.ABCD.product-shop.com) can have multiple labels, e.g.:
- Product Store
- Product Shop
Access Link Labels
You can access Link Labels in different ways in Thrive Marketing Enterprise, depending on whether you're creating a Link Label or editing an existing one. Irrespective of how you access Link Labels, the creating, editing, and managing is much the same.
NOTE: In this article, we'll walk through accessing Link Labels via the Campaigns > List page. Note that these steps and options are identical on the Landing Pages and Engagement pages.
To access Link Labels:
TIP: If you are working in the Message Editor to create or edit a Template or a Message, you can add/edit Link Labels right in the editor. To learn more, see Message Editor Zone - WYSIWYG.
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Campaigns > List.
- Hover on the gear icon in the upper right and click Link Labels.
The Manage Link Labels dialog opens.
- Refer to Create a Link Label, below, to learn how to add a Link Label.
- Refer to Manage a Link Label, below, to learn about editing and deleting Link Labels and managing Link Label recipients.
Create a Link Label
To create a Link Label via the Manage Link Labels dialog:
- Click Add new.
- In the create/edit panel (shown below) complete the fields as described below the image:
- Name (required) - Specify a name for the Link Label. Names can include letters, numerals, hyphens, and underscores; do not use spaces.
- Description - Type a brief description of the Link Label so that other Admins know what it is used for.
- Enable conversion URL - Check the box to enable the option and specify a URL. You'll then be able to see (in the Link Label Reports) which anonymous visitors (to the specified URL) have been converted to "leads" by nature of having clicked this Link Label.
Enable public report - Check the box to enable the option and specify a Report Title. Thrive Marketing Enterprise auto-generates the report which displays the names of the recipients who clicked this labeled link, and Thrive Marketing Enterprise hosts the report at the URL.
This enables you to share the report with someone (e.g., a colleague or client) who is not logged into Thrive Marketing Enterprise and, because of this, gives you the ability to hide recipients' identifying information.
- Enter auto-tag URLs - Check the box to enable the option and specify the URLs that will be automatically labeled with this Link Label. Click an X (on the right) to remove the URL.
- Click Save.
- Click Back and verify that your new Link Label is listed.
Manage a Link Label
To manage a Link Label via the Manage Link Labels dialog:
- Click a Link Label to select it; the row shading changes to blue.
- Manage the Link Label by clicking:
- Edit Label to change the name, description, and/or the settings (described above).
- Show Recipients to see a list of all recipients who clicked a link with the selected label. In the next dialog, you can:
- View Details and History for an individual recipient,
- Add all the recipients to a group, and
- Export the list of all recipients to a .csv file.
- Delete to remove the Link Label. Click Yes to confirm the deletion.
Be sure to save the Link Label if you make any changes.
Add a Link Label to Template or Message content
When working in Message Editor to create/edit Templates and Messages, you can add Link Labels to content such as email addresses and easily label links that take the recipients to, for example, other websites, articles, and event-registration pages.
TIP: In Message Editor, you can add Link Labels for URLs, Landing Pages, Events, and Surveys.
To add a Link Label in Message Editor:
- Highlight the text that you want to host the link.
- Click the link icon in the toolbar.
- Select a Link Type (except Anchor Tag and Email types) from the dropdown.
- Specify a URL, and then click Select Link Label.
- In the dialog, select one or more Link Labels and click Select.
- Complete the remaining fields of the Edit Link dialog and click OK.
- Click the gear icon and Save Changes to add your Link Label.
Use a Link Label to enroll recipients in a Campaign
You can easily enroll recipients in a Campaign or Engagement Campaign by automating their enrollment.
You can take advantage of the Link Labels functionality and add this automation when you're creating or editing a campaign.
To configure a new or existing Campaign with Link Labels:
- In the Select Campaign Members section of the setup page, click the dropdown and select Contacts who click a link label.
- Click Select Link Label(s) to the right of the dropdown.
NOTE: If you're working in Workflow Builder, click the Add Members block to access the "link label" enrollment option.
- Choose your Link Label(s) and click Select.
- Finish setting up, deploying, and scheduling the campaign.
Now, when the campaign starts (or resumes), any contact who receives the message and clicks a link that you've configured for automatic enrollment will be automatically added to the campaign.