NOTE: This article is for customers with the New Admin Experience interface (vertical left-navigation bar).
If your interface is different, view the "classic" version of this article.
Each survey includes a Define Survey Properties page where you can define properties for the entire survey. Use this feature to modify the following survey attributes:
- Appearance and layout
- Question fonts and text formatting
- Mandatory questions
- Question spacing
- Real-time results availability
- Page break properties
- Submission properties
Accessing survey properties
On the Create/Edit Survey Content page, select Survey Properties from the More menu at the upper right.
The Define Survey Properties page includes dozens of properties, grouped into several categories. Let's take a look at the more widely used categories.
NOTE: If you make any changes in a category, be sure to click its Go button to save them.
Define survey style
In this category, you can define a number of properties, including:
- The number of columns your survey has (1, 2, or 3)
- A number of table attributes, like background color, table width, and whether the table has a border
- The positioning of questions to answers; they can be horizontal (adjacent to each other) or vertical (one below another)
- Whether a Clear Answers button is available on the form
- Whether survey questions are automatically numbered
Select a survey template
This is where you can manage whether your survey uses a template or not. Even if your survey is already using a template, you can change it at any time to any existing template, or even opt to no longer use a template at all.
Define question/answer style
The first group of properties allow you to define text properties for your questions, while the second group lets you do the same for respondents' answers. You can define standard properties, like the font face, size, color, and weight.
Define mandatory question options
This is where you can control whether your required questions are set apart from your standard questions. If you want them to be, set the Do you want to highlight the mandatory questions? option to Yes. Then, you can highlight them in one of two ways:
- Select the Using this Symbol/Text radio button and define your desired symbol or text.
- Select the Highlighting the Question with a different font style radio button and define the properties below.
Define other properties
Here, you can manage a few survey properties like:
- Whether you want the survey results displayed (Real Time Results) to respondents after they submit their answer, and whether your survey template should be used on the Real Time Results page
- The number of spaces between each question
- The title of the "submit" button users click to submit their answers
Define submission options
Here, you can set a number of important settings:
- Whether your survey has a submission due date. If set to Yes, you can type or select a date, and edit the text that will display to respondents who try to submit after the due date.
- Whether your survey is limited to a maximum number of respondents. If set to Yes, you can enter the total number of respondents allowed, and the text to display to respondents who submit after this number is reached.
- Whether respondents can submit the survey more than once. If set to No, you can edit the text displayed to respondents who try to submit the survey more than once. When set to No, another option appears that controls whether respondents can at least edit their responses and resubmit. It's generally a best practice to give respondents a chance to edit their responses in case they made a mistake.
How many columns can my survey have?
Surveys can have 1, 2, or 3 columns
Can I define the width of the survey?
Yes. You have two options:
- Pixel Width - You can define the exact number of pixels you want the survey to span. Pixel width can be between 100 and 2400 pixels.
- Percentage - You can define what percentage of the viewable window the survey should display. By default surveys are set 100%.
Can I have a border around the survey?
Yes. You can choose the border color as well as the border properties:
- No Border
What are my options for aligning the answers to the questions?
You can choose to display the answers in one of two ways:
- Horizontally (adjacent to each other)
- Vertically (one below another)
Can I automatically number my questions?
Yes. In the Define Survey Style category, select Yes for the Automatically number your questions? option.
Can I select the font style for questions and answers?
Yes. By default the font style for both is Black and 10 point. To change these properties, expand the Define Question/Answer Style category to access the following group of properties for both questions and answers:
- Font face
- Font size
- Font color
- Font weight
- Font style
- Text alignment
TIP: You can also edit the font style of a specific question. To do so, click the Edit button below the question you wish to change. At the top of the Input Question box that contains the question text there is a text editor. Highlight the text you wish to change and use the text editor to change the font, color, formatting, and font size. You can change the entire question or individual words.
TIP: You can also edit the font style of a specific answer. Adjacent to each answer is Font Icon. Click this to change the font, color, formatting, and font size. You can change the entire answer or individual words.
Can I format the style for mandatory questions?
Yes. In the Define Mandatory Question Options category, you can:
- Select to either highlight mandatory questions or not
- If you do want to highlight them differently than standard questions, select whether to do so with a symbol or text, OR select to highlight them with a different font styles
NOTE: By default, mandatory questions are indicated by an asterisk (*).
Can I change the default question spacing?
Yes, in the Define Other Properties category, you can set the spacing between questions to 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 spaces.
Can I save my options to apply to all future surveys?
Yes. Each category on the Define Survey Properties page includes the Save as default for all future forms checkbox. Check this box for any property categories you want to be the defaults for all future surveys.