NOTE: This article is for customers with the New Admin Experience interface (vertical left-navigation bar).
If your interface is different, view the "classic" version of this article.
Enhanced Personalization Fields are "personalization" features in your Communications Enterprise account. You can insert the fields into email messages to personalize the message, per recipient, with information such as an anniversary date.
Enhanced Personalization Fields are similar to Custom Fields, with the differences being:
- They are UTF-8 ready, so they accept international characters.
- They have a limit of 250 characters. (Fields that exceed this limit are considered non-compliant; refer to Character limits and non-compliant fields, below.)
- They are not typically exported when you export Contact details. If you require these fields to export, a flag must be set on your account.
- They cannot be merged into a fax message.
Additionally, Enhanced Personalization Fields:
- Are not enabled by default. To enable them, create a case.
- Adhere to Enterprise Asset rules.
Populating Enhanced Fields
When creating and editing a Contact, you can complete custom fields in the Enhanced Fields tab of the Create Contact and Edit Contact dialogs.
NOTE: These values are inserted at send-time, so be mindful of how you use them. In particular, make sure that the data source contains current and correct information.
Manage Enhanced Personalization Fields
To manage your Enhanced Personalization Fields:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Contacts > Tools > Enhanced Personalization.
The upper part of the page lists your account's Shared Fields; that is, fields that were created by other admins and which are configured as "shared." Shared Fields are usable across your account, but only the field creator can edit and delete these fields.
Manage your fields
Enhanced Personalization Fields that you've created are listed in the lower part of the page. The list indicates when the field was created, whether it's Shared or Private, its Keyword, and whether it's a Date field. You can:
- Edit a field by clicking the pencil icon,
- Delete a field and all corresponding data by clicking the X, and
NOTE: If a Shared field is deleted, other users will no longer be able to see or use the field.
- Add fields.
To add Enhanced Personalization Fields:
NOTE: Enhanced Personalization Fields names cannot start with a number or be blank.
- Click the dropdown below the list and select 1, 5, or 10 fields.
- Click Add.
- In the dialog, specify a name for the field.
NOTE: This is the field "label" that users will see in various places in your account.
- Select whether the field is Shared or Private.
- Optionally, check the Date Field box. (Refer to Date Fields, below, to learn more.)
- Click Go.
The list will automatically refresh and your new field will appear at the bottom.
When an Enhanced Personalization Field is designated as a Date Field, it will not accept text characters, and dates that are specified must adhere to the format: MM/DD/YYYY (as in 12/04/2015). This is important to remember when uploading .csv files that have date fields.
WARNING: If any single date value in a .csv file does not conform to the format, the list upload will fail.
TIP: Use the cell-formatting feature in MS Excel or your spreadsheet application to format date cells as indicated above. Doing so greatly decreases the likelihood of non-compliance and a failed upload.
Using Date Fields in your account
When you configure Enhanced Personalization Fields as Date Fields, you can maximize their ability to simplify your work, as in the following examples.
Perform searches based on a date or date range
EXAMPLE: Generate a list of all Contacts whose memberships expire this week.
Personalize a message with a date
EXAMPLE: "Your subscription expires on 12/02/2019."
Create date-based campaigns using the Campaign tool
EXAMPLE: Send greetings to Contacts on their birthdays.
To learn more, see Custom Fields & Custom Date Fields.
Character limits and non-compliant fields
When uploading to Communications Enterprise, each field that is mapped has a maximum-character limit. These character limits are listed below.
NOTE: Fields that exceed the character limit are considered non-compliant.
|E-mail, Address 1, Address 2, All Custom Fields||100|
|First Name, Last Name, Phone, Fax, City, State, Zip||50|
|Enhanced Custom Field||250|
Identify non-compliant fields
You can check your upload files before performing the upload to ensure that the fields comply with the character limits.
- Open the .csv file.
- Double-click the vertical (cell-separator) line between columns A and B to expand column A.
- Repeat this procedure for all of the columns that have data.
- If any of the columns seem unexpectedly wide, some cell data might exceed the character limits.
- Identify the wide cells and either shorten or delete the non-compliant value.
NOTE: Any fields that exceed the character limits will be highlighted in your Reject file.
Personalize a subject line
You can use personalization keywords in the subject line as well as the message. The notable difference is that, for the subject line, you will have to manually enter the keywords.
NOTE: For more information on subject line personalization and character limits, see Message Personalization.
Below are some common problems encountered when working with Enhanced Personalization Fields.
- I can't create an Enhanced Personalization Field - Does it start with a number? Enhanced Personalization Fields must start with a letter. Also, there are some words and phrases that are blocked by our application. Try specifying a different field name.
- I can't see my Enhanced Personalization Field choice when I am uploading - Your session might need to be refreshed, especially if you are uploading via an integration. Log out and log back in and you should be able to view this field. If you cannot, the field is probably owned by another individual or Enterprise Team.
- I'm using international characters and the information is skewed when I preview personalization - Did you upload international characters while uploading? If not, do so and try again.