Communications Enterprise gives you the ability to create RSS Jobs (RSS feeds) to capture and link to frequently updated (dynamic) web-based information, such as blog entries and news headlines.
To access your account's RSS jobs:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > Options > RSS Jobs.
Use this page to create, edit, delete, run, and test your account's RSS feeds.
TIP: Click a column header to sort on that column; click again to reverse the sort order. Use the page-navigation options below the list to access additional pages. Check the Status column to see which jobs are enabled.
Search for RSS Jobs
Use the Search field to narrow the number of jobs displayed.
- Type alphabetic, numeric, and/or special characters and press Enter or click the magnifying glass icon.
- You can search on as few as one character.
- The search will query only the Job Name field.
- Click the X to clear the field and restore the original list.
TIP: You can also click the refresh icon under the list to restore the original list.
Manage RSS Jobs
- Click New Job above the list to set up a new job on the Create RSS Job page. Refer to Create and Edit RSS Jobs, below, to learn more.
- Select a job and click Edit to change its parameters on the Edit RSS Job page. Refer to Create and Edit RSS Jobs, below, to learn more.
- Select a job and click Delete to remove it; click OK at the confirmation prompt.
- Select a job and click Run Now to run the job; click OK at the confirmation prompt.
NOTE: You cannot run a disabled job. Click Edit, select Enabled in the Job Status field, and scroll to the bottom and click Go.
- Select a job and click Send Test to send a test job; click OK at the confirmation prompt.
NOTE: The job must have a test message email address specified. Click Edit, type a valid email address in the Test Message E-Mails field, and scroll to the bottom and click Go.
Create and Edit RSS Jobs
The RSS job create and edit pages are similar. The configuration options are described below.
NOTE: Blue text options are clickable and will open an on-page dialog with information and/or configuration options.
- After you've created or edited the job, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Go.
In the tables below, fields in the Field column that are bold are required fields.
- You must select at least one group.
- If Billing Code and Billing Initials display, they are required by your account.
Use this section to configure/change the basis of the RSS job, such as the name and URL. If you plan to test the job (a recommended practice), you must specify at least one test email address.
|Job Name||Give the RSS job a name or edit the existing name.|
|Job Status||Select Enabled or Disabled to set/change the status.|
|RSS Feed URL||Specify/edit the web address of the feed. Leave the default of Description or select Content Encoded if the RSS feed uses markup.|
|Message Name Prefix||Specify/edit the prefix of the feed messages. Prefixes are useful for grouping similar feed messages.|
|Message Category||Choose a Message Category from the dropdown to have the feed associated with that category. Click Manage Categories to create, edit, and delete Message Categories.|
|Username||Choose the login ID of the user who will own the feed.|
|Test Message E-Mails||Specify/edit the email address to which test messages will be sent. If blank, you will not be able to test the feed messages.|
Use this section to configure/change the (HTML and text) layout of the job's email message. The HTML editor has several formatting options with which you can customize your message content.
|HTML Template||Click Edit template to create and format the text of the job's email message. In the editor, click Source to view the HTML code.|
|Text Template||Click Edit template to create the text of the job's email message.|
|Content Layout||Click Edit Styles to add/update and customize the RSS feed items (title, description, timestamp, and 'read more' link).|
Use this section to configure/change the RSS job send schedule. You can specify recipients, choose account-specific fields, and customize the Subject Line with placeholder tokens.
|Schedule||Click Schedule Messages to choose automatic or to set the send-on-schedule configuration options so that you can manage when messages get sent.|
|Add Recipients||Specify/edit the list of recipients for the feed messages.|
|From Field||Click the dropdown to choose from your account's pre-defined From Addresses.|
|Reply To||Specify/edit one or several email addresses to which replies will be automatically sent.|
|Subject Line||Specify/edit the subject line of feed messages. Click Subject Token to access title, date, and time tokens that can be added to your subject line. These will be replaced with the relative content when the job runs.|
|Web Version Link||Select whether to include a link to the RSS feed in your message. The HTML option inserts a clickable link, whereas the Text option inserts plain text that has to be copied, then pasted into a browser.|
|Sending Profile||Click the dropdown to choose from your account's Sending Profiles. The profile's IP Address, Return Path, Prepend Domain, and Sender ID will display.|
In this section, add and/or remove groups by checking/unchecking their boxes in the Available and Selected sections. As you select groups in the Available section, they automatically move to the Selected section.
- Use the Search field to limit the number of groups displayed.
- Select a group and click the list icon in the upper left to view the group's details in a pop-up.
NOTE: You must select at least one group.
Make further refinements by checking Filter Out Groups and repeating the process to exclude sub-groups of larger groups.