Auto Resend is a Mailing Designer 2 (MD2) feature that enables you to easily and automatically resend a message to contacts who did not open the original message.
NOTE: You must configure this option while creating a (original) message; it cannot be set up after a message has been sent.
After the "waiting period" that you’ve specified, Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Professional (Thrive Marketing Professional) will automatically resend the message to only those contacts who have not opened the original message.
NOTE: The Auto Resend feature is currently not available for Landing Pages and Campaign messages.
Access & enable Auto Resend
The Auto Resend feature is in the Send section of the Review & Send tab and is available for the following scheduling options only.
- Send Message Now
- Schedule One-Time
- Check the box to Enable the feature and access the configuration settings.
Configure Auto Resend
- Click the Resend message after dropdown and select a waiting period of 1 to 7 days.
- Click the Time to resend field and use the selector to set the resend time.
- Set the hours and minutes by clicking the up and down arrows or by clicking the numbers and specifying different values.
- The hours field is a 12-hour setting; choose AM/PM from the toggle on the right.
- Check the Resend message with a different subject line box to enable the Subject Line field and personalization options (recommended).
- In the field, type a subject for the resend version of the message. You can also take advantage of the personalization feature to enhance your subject line (learn more about this below).
NOTE: This should be different than the subject of the original message and should motivate non-openers to open and engage with the message.
- Click Schedule Message in the lower right -- or add personalization to your Subject Line as described below.
If you are resending with a different subject, you can add personalization to your Subject Line to make it more eye-catching and to increase the likelihood of action by the original non-openers.
- Click the Personalize Subject Line icon to the right of the text field.
- Choose a Personalization Type.
- Click personalization fields to add them to the Subject Line.
- Review the Subject Line to ensure its reads as you intend.
- Click Schedule Message in the lower right.
This message will be automatically resent to non-openers based on the configured schedule, as shown below.
NOTE: In the example above, the personalization field, %%FIRST_NAME%%, will be replaced with each contact’s first name at send time.
Manage Auto Resend messages
The Auto Resend feature can prove to be time-saving so that messages don't have to be manually resent. Below are a few things to note when using this feature with your messages.
- Auto-resend messages will display on the Sent tab of the Mailings list page and will be renamed as: AUTO RESEND [Original Message Name].
- Each auto-resend message is considered unique and distinct from its original message. As such, each will have its own Mailing Activity Report, independent of that of the original message.
- If you copy an original message that was sent using the Auto Resend feature, the auto-resend settings will not be present in the copy. Enable the feature in the copy and specify independent auto-resend settings.
Auto Resend and other features
Review this section to learn how the Auto Resend feature works with other Thrive Marketing Professional features already available to you.
When the Auto Resend feature is enabled for a message, Thrive Marketing Professional will automatically create an action-based target group of individuals who did not open the original message. All the action-based target groups that get generated by this feature will be housed in a new target group folder, Auto Resend.
Learn more about Action-based Target Groups.
The Auto Resend feature can be used with an original message that has A/B Testing configured.
The resend message will default to the A version of the A/B Test. So, the A version of the Subject Line, Friendly From, or Story-Level testing will be used when the auto-resend message is published.
Learn more about A/B Testing.
Send Time Optimization
Send Time Optimization cannot be used with auto-resend messages.
Only original messages can be published using Send Time Optimization. The auto-resend message will send according to the parameters on the Review & Send tab.
NOTE: If an original message is using Send Time Optimization, it can take up to 24 hours for all recipients to receive it. The auto-resend waiting period (Resend message after) will not begin until the last original message is received.
View a 2-minute video that introduces and discusses how to use this feature.