Marketing Automation Enterprise (MA Enterprise) gives you the ability to display Message Categories on your subscription pages, and to modify the names of the categories that display so that they are more "user friendly" for your users.
--- 01/09: WORK SUSPENDED; PAGE NOT READY ---
To manage your subscription page Message Category labels:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > Subscription Pages > Page Labels.
To generate a report on subscribing activity:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > Subscription Pages > Subscriber Report.
TIM'S REPLIES ["Message Categories" on 12/17] TO MY QUESTIONS ----
Hi, Kevin, Lots of stuff with this one, so let me answer what I can for right now.
- Display Name vs Category Name:
Your understanding matches mine on how they are used.
- Subscriber Report design:
As you point out, there are a ton of design issues here. It's likely most of them match the original design requirements, but as usage of the other features have shifted, I don't think we've ever updated the page. Let me know if we want to start doing tweaks to bring it in line with the rest of RM, or if we want to wait until we redo the page.
- Extra Category Names:
It looks to me like this report ignores Enterprise views. We'd need to check the query to be sure.
- 51 Columns in Export:
MATest1 has the option enabled to include EP fields in exports, which can blow up the number of columns. It looks like that's not necessarily the issue so much as the number of custom fields, which always get included. You have 10 standard fields, 20 custom fields, some EP fields, and suddenly all your reports have a base of 30+ columns in addition to whatever specific information is supposed to be included.
- Date Format in Exports:
We're exporting the raw date/time value stored in these fields to CSV, which doesn't have any formatting included. I'm not sure what options we have to tell our exporter to make it look nice but also preserve the date/time value (as opposed to making it a string), and some very cursory Googling didn't turn up much.
There are 3 Message Categories:
On this page, I see the same 3 MCs. I give 2 of them Display Names which, based on the page instructions (“Select the Categories to be displayed on your subscription page…”), I am assuming is exclusive to how they’ll display (with a different name) on the Subscription page.
However, when I go to the Subscriber Report page, the Category Name column lists the Message Categories…by their Display Names! I was a little surprised by this because I thought the Display Name was just for the Subscription page. I would expect either: this column be labeled Display Name? Or -- the “official” Category Names used here.
OK, moving on…
I then run a Subscriber Report [From 01/01/2013 To 01/01/2018 (red box in above image)] and do not select any Message Categories. [Because of the words Limit Categories (red box in above image) above this section, I assume that if I select a MC, the report will query ONLY that MC – and that if I don’t select any MCs, it will query all MCs. (Or is this actually an “exclude” function, and I’ve got it backwards? “Limit Categories” is kinda vague)]
On the report results page, I see the following. None of the 3 MCs that we’ve seen up til now are listed. Now…I get that it’s possible that none of those 3 MCs had any subscribes in the 5-year span that I specified…I “get” that. What I don’t get is where these MCs have come from – I’ve not seen them listed anywhere.
- 1. The Search field has very strange & RM-atypical behavior. It is pre-populated with ‘Search’ and when you click into it, it does NOT clear. ‘Search’ remains and is included in your search criterion if you don’t delete it. You’ve got to clear the field first. This is neither obvious nor mentioned on the page.
- 2. If your search gets no hits, the page refreshes and there’s a Try another search. When clicked, this does NOT return you to the ‘results’ page you were just on in case you wanna do something else with the report results – it takes you back to the Subscriber Report page where you’ve got to start over –> re-run the same report or run a new report.
3. I clicked Export to download the .csv of the report results. Dunno whether you guys are aware, but that report has 51 columns! That’s not a typo, it has 51 columns! Not all of them are populated, granted, but still… And column G: SubscribeDate is a confusing because, seemingly, the cells are not (pre)formatted as “date” cells -- so I got the following values 44:00.0 and 52:00.0. So, it would have to occur to the user that this is supposed to be “date” info and they’d have to know how to reformat those cells.