Testing is an important step of the campaign-creation process. To verify that all of a campaign's Steps are working as expected, you should always put at least one person through the campaign as a tester, before adding real contacts to the live campaign – you may need to put a tester through the campaign multiple times to verify all possible campaign paths. You can stop a test at any time by clicking Stop Test in the Flow tab.
When in test mode, each Wait Step takes ten minutes, while all other Steps are processed as the tester moves through the campaign. While testing campaigns is a time investment, doing so is a best practice and a worthwhile investment to ensure campaign efficacy.
How to test a campaign
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Campaigns to access your campaigns.
- On the In Progress tab (you can only test in progress campaigns), hover over the menu icon to the left of the campaign you want to test and select Edit.
- Navigate to the Test tab.
- Add testers by entering their email addresses in the field on the right; you can do so by selecting a Test Group on the left to populate the field or by manually entering one or more email addresses (one per line).
NOTE: See Test Groups to learn how to create Test Groups.
- Click the Begin Test button at the bottom of the page (if you have a lot of Test Groups, you'll need to scroll to the bottom of the page to see it).
How to view a test in progress
- If a campaign is being tested, navigate back to the Campaigns > In Progress tab.
- Hover over the campaign's menu icon and select View Test.
The resulting test view page has two tabs:
- Flow - This tab displays each Step of the campaign, along with which testers are in which Step, indicated by the number bubbles above the Steps (the image below shows one tester at the Stop Step).
- Subscribers - This tab lists each person testing the campaign, along with details like whether they converted, the Step they're currently on, and when they started the test.
- You can click Add Tester at the upper right to add additional testers. Alternatively, navigate back to Campaigns > In Progress tab, hover over the menu icon for a campaign being tested, and select Add Test Subscriber.
- This is also where you stop the test, via the Stop Test button at the top.
NOTE: There is no confirmation upon clicking the Stop Test button; the test is immediately stopped.