Survey questions can be stored in folders to keep them logically organized and easier to locate for use in future surveys. The Question Bank is your "portal" to your survey questions -- and every question that is created for any survey in your account can be added to your question bank.
The Question Bank page lists your survey questions alphabetically (by default), making it easier to access and manage them. You can filter the list by folder and sort the list by question type to quickly locate individual questions.
Access your Survey Questions
To manage your survey questions:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Modules > Surveys > Question Bank.
The Question Bank page alphabetically lists your account's survey questions. On this page, you can add, modify, delete, and copy survey questions.
Survey Questions names
- Survey question names can start with and contain any combination of letters, numerals, and/or special characters.
- Survey question names that start with special characters will be listed first. These will be followed by names that start with a numeral; then standard "A to Z" sorting.
TIP: Click a column header to sort on that column; click the header again to reverse the sort order.
Manage Survey Questions Folders
Survey questions can be stored in various folders to keep them organized and easier to find.
NOTE: You might find that, initially, all survey questions in one folder is manageable and convenient. However, as you add questions, you might want to create folders to separate and organize them (e.g., by survey type, by date).
- Click the All Folders dropdown to see the folders that contain survey questions.
- Choose a folder to display only its survey questions in the list.
- Choose All Folders to restore the original, complete list of questions.
Click Edit to add, edit (rename), and delete folders in the Folders dialog.
- Click New Folder to create one; name it, and click Submit.
- Check the Show Deleted box to display any deleted folders. Click Undelete to restore them.
- Click Edit to rename a folder; click Submit.
- Click Delete to remove a folder and its questions.
Before deleting any folders, consider the following points.
- You cannot rename or delete Main Folder; it is a default, system folder.
- If you delete a folder, you lose access to its survey questions, so consider moving the questions to a different folder before deletion.
- If you undelete a folder, you resurrect any questions that it housed when it was deleted.
Manage Survey Questions
Use the options above the survey questions list to manage your survey questions individually or several at a time.
The table below describes the actions that can be taken using the options above the survey questions list.
|Search||Open the Search dialog. You can refine the search by Question Name, Type, and Folder.|
|Reset||Reset the list to its default set of columns.|
|Columns||Access the column chooser. NOTE: This list contains only three columns, all of which display by default.|
|Export||Generate and download a report based on the current page. NOTE: The report will include only those columns that currently display; add and remove columns to customize the report.|
|Show Deleted||Display deleted survey questions in the list.|
|Check the box (left column) for one or several survey questions to enable the following options.|
|Delete||Delete the selected question/questions.|
|Move to Folder||Move the selected question/questions to a different folder. NOTE: This can also be done on the Modify Question page.|
Hover menu options
In addition to the options detailed above, you can act on an individual question by using its hover-over menu. Hover on the menu icon to the left of a question and choose:
- Modify to make changes on the Modify Question page as described below in Create/Modify a Survey Question.
- Copy to create a copy of the question in this folder. Give it unique name and click Copy.
TIP: Use the Move to Folder option to relocate the question.
- Delete to permanently remove the question.
NOTE: This differs from deleting and then undeleting a folder (described in Deleting Folders, above). Deleting a survey question is permanent.
Create/Modify a Survey Question
Creating and modifying survey questions are similar operations.
- Click Create to the right of the page title to access the Modify Question page.
- Hover on a survey question menu icon and click Modify to access the Modify Question page.
- On the Modify Question page:
|Question||Type the question to be included in the survey. Click Personalization Codes to open a dialog that contains common HTML tags and account-specific personalization fields. Refer to Personalization Codes, below, for more information. NOTE: This field is required.|
|Question Name||Type a name for the question. This will be used to display the question in the bank list.|
|Instructions||Type any instructions (e.g., Choose one:) that will aid the respondents.|
|Type||Click the dropdown to choose which type of question this is. This will determine how it is presented in the survey and whether additional fields (a dropdown, 1-to-5 rating options) will be included. Click Show Instructions for helpful information.|
|Style||Choose whether to have the question, instructions, and answer display on one line or on separate lines.|
|Answer Required||Check the box to have to question marked as required.|
|Horizontal Question Widths||Specify percent values for the width of the question, instructions, and answer boxes for Horizontal style questions. NOTE: This is not relevant if you selected Vertical for Style.|
|Folder||Use the dropdown to choose a folder (or create one) in which to store the question. NOTE: This can be later changed using the Move to Folder option on the Question Bank page.|
- Click Add Question (creating) or Make Changes (modifying) to save.
- On the Question Bank page:
- Verify the new question has been added to the list.
- Verify the modified question has been updated (only name, type, and/or folder changes are apparent).
You can personalize survey questions to make respondents feel more engaged, which leads to an increase in survey responses. Personalization codes uses the personalization fields that have been set up in your account.
You insert personalization codes (as "placeholders") which are then replaced with personal or demographic information that is drawn from a contact's personal profile. The personalization can also be enhanced with common HTML tags, as shown in the following example.
EXAMPLE: In the Question field, type: How are you, <b>%%First Name%%</b>?
When Stephanie accesses the survey, she'll see: How are you, Stephanie?
Add questions to the Question Bank
There are three ways to add survey questions to the "bank."
- Use the Create option that is described in the previous section, Create/Modify a Survey Question.
- On the Modify Question page, check the box for Add to Question Bank?.
- In step 2 of the Survey Wizard (when adding and modifying survey questions), click the Add to QB button next to a question.
Add Question Bank questions to a Survey
You can add a question from the Question Bank in step 2 of the Survey Wizard (when adding and modifying survey questions).
- In the upper right of a page box, click Add Existing Question to access the Add Existing Question page.
NOTE: Make sure that you click Add Existing Question in the box for the page that you want the question to appear on.
- Use the options that are detailed below to find a question that is stored in the question bank.
TIP: These search options can be used in conjunction with one another to limit the number of results.
|Keyword Search||Search on any term that may be present in the question.|
|Question Type||Click the dropdown and select a type. Click Search, or use other options.|
|Question Folder||Click the dropdown and select a folder. Click Search, or use other options.|
|Questions||Click the dropdown to access the full list of questions. Choose a question and click Update, or use other options to refine the list.|
|Questions with Sub-Questions||Click the dropdown to access the full list of questions that have sub-questions. Choose a question and click Update, or use other options to refine the list.|
- Click Update.
You are returned to the Survey Wizard page; verify that the question displays in the page box.