Compound Target Groups enable you to:
- combine two or more Target Groups into one,
- exclude contacts from a Target Group,
- or require contacts to meet the criteria of multiple Target Groups in order to better segment your list.
A Compound Target Group can also be used to combine Target Group information from different sources. For example:
- Renewal information from your AMS/CRM,
- Message activity from Higher Logic Informz,
- Web Tracking data from your web site, and
- Activity from your Higher Logic community can all be combined in a Compound Target Group.
Create a Compound Target Group
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Contacts > Groups.
- Click Create.
- Select Compound from the menu, followed by Create in the pop-up.
- Enter a Name for your Target Group in the corresponding field. Then, select a folder for your Target Group.
- In the Select existing target groups area, select one of your Target Group folders to display its Target Groups. Then, select the Target Group(s) you want added to or excluded from the Compound (to select more than one group at a time, hold down the Ctrl key and then click each Target Group).
- Click Include or Exclude to place the Target Group in the desired part of the Compound.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 for any additional Target Groups you want to work with.
- Once all the Target Groups have been added, select the appropriate options of In all or In one or more.
- Select In all to create a Compound of contacts that are in all of the Target Groups you've selected. You can think of this as an "and" operator, meaning if you've selected three Target Groups, a contact must belong to Target Group 1, and Target Group, and Target Group 3. This method lends itself to deeper filtering.
- Select In one or more to create a Compound of contacts that are found in any of the Target Groups you've selected. You can think of this as an "or" operator, meaning if you've selected three Target Groups, a contact can belong to Target Group 1, or Target Group, or Target Group 3. This method lends itself to broader filtering.
- Click Create Target Group to create the Compound.
While the mechanics behind a Compound Target Group are simple, the potential impact on your marketing and outreach is huge. Incorporating a variety of interactions, conversion, and touch points - as represented by membership in a Target Group - propels your campaigns to be laser focused and optimized using all the data available to you.