A demographic is just another attribute of a contact, and these attributes are associated to your contacts during the contact upload process.
Demographic Target Groups organize your contacts based on their demographic attributes. With this information, you can start to understand the best ways to target specific groups through your messages. Demographic Target Groups are so important that Marketing Automation Professional (MA Professional) automatically builds them from any Demographic Categories you create.
An important concept to keep in mind is that when you build Demographic Target Groups, a Target Group is automatically created for each available option.
EXAMPLE: Let's say we created a Demographic Target Group based on gender. In the example below, only Male and Female were used, resulting in two Target Groups being created. If additional options were added, like "Prefer not to answer," that would generate another Target Group.
Create a Demographic Target Group
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Contacts > Groups.
- Click Create.
- Select Demographics from the menu, followed by Create in the pop-up.
- You'll now create a Demographic Category, which will become its own Target Group in MA Professional. Begin by giving the category a name, which will be displayed when it's on a subscription form.
- Select one of the following category types:
- Standard - Select this to create your own custom demographic options. Basically, select this for anything besides State and Country..
- State - Select this to auto-populate all of the states.
- Country - Select to auto-populate all of the countries.
- While adding a default value is optional, doing so will ensure that if you use personalization in your message, and your contact did not fill anything out, there will be a default value used.
- For Selection Type, define whether contacts can only select a single demographic or multiple.
- For Display Type, define whether to show the demographics in a drop-down menu or via radio buttons.
- Click Save to display a new area where you can add or modify your demographics, depending on whether you chose Standard, State, or Country.
- If you chose Standard, click the Add button, enter a demographic option, and click Save. Repeat this process to add as many demographics as you want.
- If you chose State or Country, they'll be listed alphabetically at the bottom of the dialog. If needed, you can update the names in the text fields or click the (-) buttons to remove one.
- Click Save again at the bottom of the pop-up to create your new Demographic Target Group.