In your marketing efforts, Admins at your organization will likely create numerous Target Groups in addition to those that the system automatically creates for a variety of reasons. Over time, this may result in "old" Target Groups that you no longer use or need.
TIP: Higher Logic recommends that, as a best practice, you adopt a regular (perhaps monthly or quarterly) maintenance routine during which you do some necessary "housekeeping" in your account.
This article guides you through how to locate and delete unused Target Groups in order to decrease Target Group "clutter," which:
- Makes it easier to find and work with your active Target Groups
- Ensures that your organization avoids accidentally using an outdated Target Group
NOTE: This article also describes how to undelete a Target Group, should one be accidentally deleted.
Target Groups data
Target Groups only compile contact information, they do not store it directly.
- If you delete a Target Group, all of the associated contact information is preserved in the Contacts' records.
Access your Target Groups
To perform the tasks discussed in this article, navigate to the Groups list page:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Contacts > Groups.
Delete a Target Group
When deleting Target Groups, keep in mind that you cannot delete:
- Target Groups that are currently in use.
- Certain Target Group types, such as General and Marketing Compound.
To delete Target Groups:
- Check the boxes for one or more Target Groups.
- Click Delete.
- At the "delete" confirmation, click OK.
- Above the list, check the Show Deleted box and then review the list to verify that the Target Group name now displays in red text.
When deleting multiple Target Groups, those:
- that pass validation are immediately deleted.
- with validation issues are listed in a pop-up, along with the reason, and are not deleted.
Undelete a Target Group
NOTE: You cannot use multi-select to undelete Target Groups; they have to be undeleted individually.
To undelete a Target Group:
- Check the Show Deleted checkbox. All deleted Target Groups appear in red text in the list.
- Hover over the menu icon to the left of a Target Group name and select Undelete.
- At the "undelete" confirmation, click OK.
The list refreshes and the undeleted Target Group is highlighted.
Repeat these steps to undelete additional Target Groups.
Target Group Automatic Cleanup
All accounts have a feature that automatically deletes unused Target Groups based on an Admin-specified threshold.
See Target Group Automatic Cleanup to learn about enabling and configuring this option.