When you add registrants to your track site, the registrants have to be notified that they have to create a password in order to access your site. Event Engagement makes it easy to automate this notification by using an Automation Rule (called Welcome New Attendee) that has a pre-configured Welcome/Create Password email message.
- The default notification message that is configured for the Welcome New Attendee automation rule has a link and instructions for registrants to create their own private password to access your virtual event site.
- You can change some aspects of the Welcome New Attendee automation rule and you can enable and disable it.
Watch the video
Let's see how to set up the automatic notification in the Welcome New Attendee automation rule. To do this, access the Admin interface.
To access the Admin interface:
- In the Admin Toolbar, click Admin.
- Complete the steps described below.
Step 1 - Virtual Event settings
In this step, you'll name your Community (i.e., your virtual event) and choose a Super Admin to be your Community Manager. (Think of the Community Manager as the "Event Planner" for your virtual event.)
- Navigate to Automation > Settings.
- In the Community Name field, specify a name for your virtual event site. (Required)
- From the Community Manager's Email Address dropdown, select one of your Super Admins to be the Event Planner. (Required)
NOTE: This will be the "From" address of the Welcome/Create Password email message that is sent to your registrants. It "masks" the actual address, email@example.com. Any replies to this message will go to the Event Planner's email inbox.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
Step 2 - Configure the default notification message Automation Rule
In this step, you'll set up several aspects of the Welcome New Attendee automation rule, including whether the Welcome/Create Password email message gets automatically sent when you add registrants.
- Navigate to Automation > Automation Rules.
- Scroll down to the Welcome New Attendee automation rule that has a type of Email.
- To the right of the rule, click Edit to access the Create/Edit Rule page.
Schedule the rule
NOTE: This step is optional.
You have two options for how to use (i.e., when to send) the automatic notification that is controlled by this automation rule. You can set up the rule and then:
- Enable it before you add registrants so that you don't have to "double back" to notify them as they're added to your virtual event site, OR...
- Disable it and then enable it after you've added registrants and when your virtual event site is ready for their engagement.
- At the top of page, click Un-scheduled to toggle it to Scheduled. The rule is now enabled and the Welcome/Create Password email message will be automatically sent when you add registrants.
- Make additional changes as described below or scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save.
NOTE: The difference is that in the Un-scheduled state, the rule will not automatically run; that is, it will not automatically send the Welcome/Create Password email message when registrants are added to your site. However, you can still manually send the message from this page by using the Save and Run Now option at the bottom of the page (refer to Save your changes).
Customize the message
NOTE: This step is optional.
The automation rule has been configured with default text for the Welcome/Create Password email message. You can leave the default text or customize it.
- Click View/Edit Email Template to open the Message Template Edit page in a new tab.
- Scroll down to the HTML Version section. Do not change any other settings on this page.
- You can edit the text of the default notification email message. Use the formatting options in the tool bar to add bold and italic, change the font color and size, and add images and links.
The message contains several personalization placeholders, such as [Tenant.CommunityName]. These are pre-configured to pull data from your virtual event's records and that data is used to customize the message for your individual event site.
Therefore, do not:
- Delete any personalization placeholders.
- Alter the text contained within the personalization placeholders.
- Send a test message (described next) or scroll to bottom and click Save. (You can close the Email Templates page that automatically opens.)
Test the message
NOTE: This step is recommended.
Higher Logic recommends that you test the Welcome/Create Password email message to ensure that it sends as expected and that any customizations you made, appear as expected.
- As the logged-in Super Admin, your email address should be in the Send a test mail to field.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Send Test Email.
- Access your email client and verify that test Welcome/Create Password email message is as you expect.
- Scroll down and click Save.
Save your changes
- When you have completed the steps above, click Save.
NOTE: If you have set the rule to Scheduled, it will automatically send the Welcome/Create Password email message whenever you add registrants to your track site.
- Save and Run Now - Select this to immediately send the Welcome/Create Password email message to newly added registrants.
- Save Rule As - Select this if you have made changes that alter the behavior of the default automation rule and you want to save those changes as a different automation rule.
- Delete Rule - Do not select this; it will delete this default automation rule!
Now that you have your Welcome/Create Password email message configured:
- Upload Event Registrants to start populating your track site.