If one or more child accounts have been installed in your main account, this article will guide you through the configuring and customizing of your child account.
Understand account branding
Essentially, a new child account is "empty" in that it has no assets. So when you are configuring a child account, it's important to consider the "branding" question:
Will the child account have its own brand or will it simply reflect the brand of the parent account?
- If the child account has its own brand, it will have its own set of unique assets.
- If the child account does not have its own brand, it can use assets from its parent.
Understand account assets
Each Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Professional (Thrive Marketing Professional) account has an assortment of "assets" (such as messages, templates, campaigns, and contacts) that are unique to the account. When a child account is created, some of the parent account's assets can be copied to the child account so that they are available for use in that account.
The following account assets can be copied to a child account.
- Sent and In Progress messages (creates a copy of the message)
The following account assets cannot be copied to a child account.
- Contact Records
- Landing Pages
- Tracking and Reporting for Sent Messages and Campaigns
- Preference Management pages (these are specific to the account they are created in)
Account assets can be copied. In the case of templates:
- A copy is an editable version of the parent account's original template. The copy can be rebranded and managed uniquely for the child account. Note that if any changes are made to the original that are also applicable to the copy, the copy will have to be individually updated.
NOTE: This functionality is unique to Message Designer (i.e., MD2) type messages and templates.
You can copy messages and templates from a parent account to any of its child accounts.
- When a message is copied, its associated template will also be copied.
- The message and the template will be copied to the Main folder in the child account.
To copy a message or template to a child account:
- Navigate to the applicable Admin page for the asset you're copying (Messages > List or Messages > Templates)
- Select a Message Designer type message or template.
- Click More and select Copy to Child.
- In the dialog, the name of the message or template is preceded by Copy of. Accept this name or specify a different name for the message or template. (Required)
- Check a box to select a child account; you can select more than one. (Required)
- Click Copy.
A notification confirms whether the copy was successful.
Below are a few things to keep in mind when copying messages/templates to a child account.
The Copy to Child option:
- is available under the More menu for Message Designer messages in all of the Messages > List pages.
- will not display for accounts that do not have child accounts.
- copy messages/templates from a child account to its parent account.
- simultaneously copy multiple messages/templates (i.e., no multi-select option).
If you select multiple messages/templates, the Copy to Child option will not display in the More menu.
The copy will retain all the formatting and configuration selections of the original message/template.
The copy will not retain:
- story-level targeting; this will have to be reconfigured in the copy.
- the following links; these will have to be re-linked in the copy:
- Unsubscribe Landing Pages
- Form Landing Pages
- Content-Only Landing Pages
Images in the template and the message retain their reference to the images in the parent account's asset manager.
If you copy two messages that use the same template, each copy creates a new instance of the template in the child account.
This section details the options that can be configured in a child account. When setting up the child account, you can:
- leave the default settings of the option,
- replicate the settings of the parent account on the child account, or
- customize the child accounts with custom settings.
If the parent account has an integration, that same integration can be set up for the child account. To do so, create a case with the Customer Support Team.
TIP: If, prior to the child-account installation, you have decided that you want the child account to also have the integration, notify Customer Support. Even though the integration is handled by a separate team, knowing this will shorten the time between child-account installation and integration set up.
From Address & Reply To Address
These optional features can be configured, post-installation, in the child account under Admin > Settings > System Settings. When set here, they become the account defaults, but they can be changed per template and per individual message.
The customizable From Address will display to recipients in the “From” field of your email messages. Use the Reply To Address feature to configure an alternate email address for replies to your messages.
TIP: To learn about these settings, see Create a Message (MD2).
You can manage unsubscribes in either of two ways.
- Add an unsubscribe link (during set up) to any templates you create in the child account.
- Add an unsubscribe link to any template at the parent-account level and when the template is copied to the child account, the default will be used.
NOTE: If there are existing unsubscribers that you want in the child account, upload them as described in Upload Contacts - Opt-Outs, Unsubscribes, and Resubscribes.
Templates in the parent account can be copied to and used in the child account. Before doing so, however, consider how they will be used in a child account.
- Determine which areas of a template might have to be customized for a child account:
- Unsubscribe link
- Physical address (if inserted into a template)
- Consider using the Template Designer permission (accessible via Settings > Users > Manage) to designate which users in the child account can create templates versus which users must use an existing template to create their message.
Child account user permissions can be configured, post-installation, by setting the Child Account Permissions permission in the parent account under Settings > Users > Manage.
See the Access & permissions section of Child Accounts Overview for more information about using this permission.
TIP: To learn about user permissions, see Manage Users.
Permissions to consider
|Manager||View reports in the system|
|Publisher||Publish and schedule messages|
|Reporter||Create and modify messages|
|Subscribers||Change subscriber lists and create target groups|
|Template Designer||Create and modify message templates|
|Administrator||Grant access to the system and integration settings, and create and modify user accounts|
|Child Account Permissions||Navigate between the parent account and the child account and between child accounts
NOTE: All of the user's permissions are pushed "down-stream" to all child accounts.
Typically, the IP addresses of the child account will be the same as those used by the parent account.
Switch between accounts
While managing your Thrive Marketing Professional account in the Admin interface, you can easily move between your main account and any child accounts.
To switch to a different account:
- Click the Profile icon and choose Switch Accounts.
- In the dialog, click an account to select it and then click Switch.
Thrive Marketing Professional redirects you to the selected account.
For any configuration questions, create a case for our Customer Support Team to review and discuss your options. Customer Support might refer you to our Deliverability team.