Super Admins and Community Admins have access to an area of settings for their Community Essentials site ("community"). These settings control various aspects of the community, such as community events, join and view permissions, and content moderation. This article describes the Manage Community Members page.
WARNING: Your member records are managed in your integration database and synchronized over to your Community Essentials site. So, while this page offers many member-management options, your activity here should be limited to those activities described in this article, and member records should be managed in your integration database.
EXAMPLE: Any members that are added via the Add Member option on this page will be removed from your community on the next synchronization because they are not recognized by/known to your integration database.
Higher Logic recommends that Community Essentials admins use this page to only:
- See a list of community members and who among them are admins,
- Access a member's profile by clicking the member name, and
- Restrict members from participating in community discussions.
Access the Members page
To access the Members page:
- Click Settings to the right of the community name.
- In the Admin-settings panel, click Members.
The Manage Community Members page lists all your community's members. You can see details such as email address, whether they are an admin, and how long they've been a member. Use the two tabs to manage your active and restricted members.
TIP: The numbers to the right of the tab title are the current counts of members and restricted members. As you manage your members (restrict, remove, remove restriction), these counts will auto-update.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Do not add members to your Community Essentials site on this page. Your member roster is managed in your integration database and synchronized over to your Community Essentials site. Any members that are added here will be removed from your community on the next synchronization.
Search & filter the lists
Manage which records display in your Members and Restricted Members lists by using the search option and the filters that are above the lists.
Use the search function to refine the list of members that displays.
- Click the magnifying glass icon to open the search field and type characters.
- You can search on as few as one character.
- You can search on letters, numerals, and special characters.
- The search queries the name (first, last, and company) and email address fields of member records.
- Click Go to initiate the search.
- Click Reset / Clear to clear the field and restore the original, complete list.
NOTE: If you manually clear the search field (e.g., backspace or delete), the search results will remain displayed in the list. You must click Reset / Clear to restore the original list.
TIP: Apply multiple filters for a more refined list.
- Click the All Admins and Non-Admins dropdown, choose a type, and click Apply Filter to refine the list by event type.
- Click the dropdown on the right to sort the list by first name, last name, company name, or age of membership.
- Click the down arrow next to Apply Filter and click Reset Filter to restore the original full list.
NOTE: The All Roles dropdown is not functional in your Community Essentials site.
Access member details
- In the Details column, click the member's name to visit their Profile page.
Manage your admin permissions as described in Manage Community and Super Admins.
WARNING: Do not use the Edit Roles option that is available on this page; it applies functionality that is not applicable to Community Essentials sites.
Restrict member activity
You can restrict community members from participating in community discussions. While restricted, a member can still:
- read messages that are posted by other members and
- participate in other community activities, such as post news articles and attend events.
EXAMPLE: A use-case for this could be a member who isn't respecting the community's Code of Conduct. The restriction prevents the member posting any further messages.
IMPORTANT REMINDER: Do not remove members from your Community Essentials site on this page. Your member roster is managed in your integration database and synchronized over to your Community Essentials site. Removing members here will create a conflict between your Community Essentials site and your integration database.
Restrict a member
To restrict a member:
- Click the down arrow next to Edit Roles.
- Click Restrict.
The page refreshes and the member record is moved from this list to the Restricted Members (tab) list.
Restrict several members
The restrict action can also be simultaneously performed on several members by multi-selecting.
To restrict several members:
- Check the box next to All to select all members in the displayed list, OR...
Check the boxes next to several member names to select multiple members.
TIP: The search and filter options that are described above are ideal for isolating several members for "bulk" actions.
- Choose Restrict from the Select action dropdown above the Details column.
- Click Submit to execute the action; otherwise, click Cancel to clear everything and reset the page to its original state.
The page refreshes and the member records are moved from this list to the Restricted Members (tab) list.
Restricted members list
Restricted members have had their discussion-posting privileges rescinded by an admin. Use this page to reinstate these privileges for individual members.
To remove restriction:
- Click the Restricted Members tab to view your restricted members.
- Click the down arrow next to Remove in the Actions column and select Remove Restriction.
WARNING: Do not click the Remove button; it is not the same as Remove Restriction.
The page refreshes and the member record is moved from this list to the Members (tab) list.