Do you need a custom Home page for one or more of your communities? If so, this article will guide you through how to create one.
The process can be broken into three main steps:
- In the CMS, make a copy of an existing community Home page to use as a template.
- Using Page Designer, edit the copied Home page and make any changes necessary (e.g., add/remove widgets, etc.).
- Associate your custom Home page to a Community Type (or Types). The communities associated to this Community Type will inherit your custom Home page.
Let's walk through these steps in more detail.
Step 1 - Copy an existing community Home page
- In the Webmaster Links menu, click the folder icon to access the CMS.
- Drill down to Main Button Bar > Communities > Community Home (note that these are the default page names and may be different on your site).
- Click the ellipsis menu (...) associated to Community Home and select Copy.
- In the pop-up, give your custom Home page an appropriate name and be sure to uncheck the Include all children... box so all of the child pages are not also copied.
- Click Submit to create the copy.
- Your copied page is automatically selected in the CMS. In the right-hand Page Properties panel:
- Rename the Page Title to something appropriate (you may want to leave it as "Community Home" so it appears like any other community Home page).
- Enter a Page Code Name to identify your Home page (we recommend using a naming convention that allows you to easily understand which Community Type it is for). You'll use this later in the process, so you may want to copy it to Notepad for easy retrieval.
- Copy and paste the Page Code Name in the URL Name field as well. (NOTE: If you use spaces in the Page Code Name, make sure to use a dash (-) between each space.)
- Click Publish at the bottom of the panel to save your changes and publish the page.
Step 2 - Customize your new community Home page
- Still in the CMS, click the ellipsis menu (...) associated to your custom Home page and select Edit.
- Click to select the Community Redirect for Community Type content item and check the Hide box in the Properties panel. Otherwise, this will cause a “Too many redirects” error message.
- Make any other updates to the page you want (e.g., adding/removing widgets, changing the page layout, etc.).
- When finished, click Publish.
NOTE: Refer to the articles in this section of our knowledge base to learn more about creating pages, configuring their settings, and more.
Step 3 - Associate your custom Home page to a Community Type
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Community > Communities > Types.
- Select a Community Type in the list, and then click Edit.
- Enter the unique Page Code Name you created in Step 1 to the Home Page Code field.
- Scroll to the bottom of the pop-up and click Save.
Now, not only will any existing communities of this Community Type inherit this custom Home page but also all new communities associated to it moving forward.