If enabled, users can @mention other users in various locations across your Higher Logic site, including:
- News articles
- Discussion posts
- Library Entries
NOTE: @mention functionality is compatible with Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE 11, Safari, and the mobile view of the website. It's also available in the mobile app.
How do @mentions work?
- Initiate the @mention by typing "@" and then start typing the user's name. As you type, a list of suggested users will appear.
NOTE: Users who are opted out of the Directory will not appear in the suggestions, and profile privacy settings are respected.
- Select the desired user from the list of suggestions and the @mention will become a hyperlink to the selected user's profile.
What happens after I @mention someone?
When a user is @mentioned, they'll receive an email notification letting them know (as long as they can access the associated content). For example, if Eric is reading a thread about community management and thinks his colleague, John Doe, would be interested in participating in the thread, he could @mention John in a discussion reply. John would then receive an email notification that he was mentioned in Eric's discussion post, along with a link to the post so he can easily participate.
These notifications are sent to a user's profile Inbox (from your profile, click My Inbox to access it).
Other users can click John's @mention in the discussion post to view his profile.
1. An @mentioned user can remove the @mention link to their profile by hovering their cursor over the @mention and clicking Remove Reference in the pop-up.
2. If a user is @mentioned within content they don't have access to view, they will not receive an email notification.
Can I enable/disable @mentions functionality?
- The @mentions feature is enabled, by default
- Super Admins cannot enable/disable this feature
However, if you'd like @Mentions disabled on your community site, Higher Logic staff can take care of this for you (create a case).
How to update the @mention email template
As mentioned above, users receive an email notification when they're @mentioned (as long as they can access the associated content). If needed, Super Admins can customize the @mention email template. To do so:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Email > Email Management > Email Templates.
- Select Comment Notification from the Category menu.
- Click the Edit button associated to the @Mention Notification template and make your desired changes.