Your site likely features several HTML content areas (like those typically found on the Home page).
- By default, Super Admins can edit these directly on the page via the pencil icons (highlighted below). This is known as In-Context Editing, and it offers a convenient method of content management without needing to access the CMS.
- Depending on widget permissions, Site Admins may also be able to edit via In-Context Editing.
Is in-context editing available for all content?
In-Context Editing is only available for the HTML content type. You can add HTML content to any page across your site, and In-Context Editing can be enabled/disabled on a per-item basis.
How to enable In-Context Editing
NOTE: Only Super Admins can enable/disable In-Context Editing.
When it comes to enabling In-Context Editing, there are two layers to consider:
- You can enable or disable In-Context Editing at the site level; this controls whether it's available at all.
- If enabled at the site level, you can then enable or disable In-Context Editing at the individual HTML content item level; this controls whether Super and Site Admins can edit a specific HTML content item.
Enable/disable at the site level
- In the Admin Toolbar, click Site Options > Site Setup (right click for a new tab).
- On the resulting page, click the Admin tab.
- At the bottom of the page you'll see the Allow in-context Editing for HTML Content? option; toggle this to Yes/No to enable/disable.
- Click Finish to apply this change.
Enable/disable at the individual level
By default, In-Context Editing is disabled for HTML content items you add to a page, and must be enabled on a per-item basis. Follow the steps below to learn how.
NOTE: HTML content that came provisioned with your site has In-Context Editing enabled by default.
- While editing a page, click to select an HTML content item.
- Click the edit button (paper/pencil icon).
- In the dialog, click to toggle the Enable in-context editing? option to Yes.
- Click Save to apply the change to the HTML content and close the dialog.
- When all your edits are finished, click Publish to apply your changes to the live page.
For all HTML content items with In-Context Editing enabled, you'll see a pencil icon at the top right of the content area. Click this icon to edit its associated content directly on the page.
How to lock content to Super Admins only
NOTE: Only Super Admins can lock content.
Just like with any widget or page content, Super Admins can decide whether to lock content that has In-Context Editing enabled so that it's only editable by Super Admins. You'll want to do this for any content you don't want Site Admins to update.
- Edit a page with content you want to lock.
- In Page Designer, click to select a piece of content.
- Check the Super Admins Only box.
- Click Publish to apply the change.