Role-based email addresses are "generic" email addresses that are usually assigned to a mailing list or a position (i.e., a job title), rather than a person, in a company or organization.
EXAMPLE: custserv@, sales@, and contact@, are role-based email addresses.
When you perform a bulk upload of email addresses in Communications Professional, either manually or through an integration upload job, the system "scrubs" the upload file and automatically rejects role-based email addresses because they notoriously cause high bounce rates and spam complaints which can have a negative impact on your organization's deliverability.
NOTE: See Email Address Scrub Rules for information on the "scrub" rules and View removed role-based email addresses, below, to see which role-based email addresses have been removed from your uploads.
Add role-based addresses
If you want to add a role-based address, you can add it individually by navigating to Contacts > List, and then following the instructions in Manage Contacts (Communications Professional).
We recommend using this work-around in situations where you're emailing internally, within your own organization.
TIP: If the role-based address that you want to add was provided by one of your subscribers or customers, then, to avoid unnecessary bounces and spam complaints, we recommend that you contact that subscriber or customer and request the email addresses of any individuals who want to receive your messages.
Add multiple role-based addresses
If you find it necessary to add multiple role-based addresses, follow the steps below.
- Download the .xlsx file, Role-based_Email_Addresses_CommsPro.xlsx, that is attached to this article; save it to your device.
- Open the file, enable editing, and delete all of the rows that you do not want added to your account.
- Save and close the file.
- Create a case with Customer Support and request that the included role-based email addresses be added; attach your updated .xlsx file.
NOTE: These "exceptions" will remain intact for all of your account's upload jobs (manual and integration); they will not be overwritten or negated by future uploads.
In our efforts to keep our mail system secure and problem-free for all of our customers, the following role-based email addresses are never allowed on Communications Professional mail servers, not even if the extension is turned on to allow.
View removed role-based email addresses
In Communications Professional, you can view the Upload History in order to see which email addresses were removed during the upload.
To access the upload history:
- In the Classic admin interface, navigate to Subscribers > Upload > Upload History.
- In the New Admin Experience, navigate to Contacts > Upload > History.
- Check the table headings for the Removed Role Emails column.
- If it's not there, click the Columns button and in the Column selector, click the + sign next to Removed Role Emails to move it from the hidden columns box to the visible columns box.
TIP: You can also:
- Click-and-drag the title to reposition the column.
- Move columns to the hidden columns box (click the – sign) if the table is too cluttered.
- If any of your upload jobs has a number in the Removed Role Emails column, click the number to open a popup that displays the addresses that were removed from that upload.
Role-based email address list
Attached is a complete and current list of the role-based email addresses that get blocked by the Communications Professional system.