You can "filter out" unwanted domains to more easily limit which recipients will be sent a message. This is a great way to automatically exclude large groups of contacts from a mailing, and the exclusion occurs at send time.
The exclusion is set at the Email Service Provider (ESP) domain level, so specifying a domain such as higherlogic.com will result in messages not being sent to the contacts in your list who have that email domain.
TIP: You can specify multiple email domains to be excluded and you can add and remove email domains at will.
Excluding email domains can help with troubleshooting if you see deliverability issues or if you would like to simply "pause" sending to some domains or contacts.
NOTE: This is an "ON/OFF" option that will impact all messages sent from your account, i.e., if an email domain is listed on the exclusions page, none of your account messages will be sent to it. Edit the list as described below to include/exclude email domains.
Enabling & permissions
Domain exclusions can be managed by Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Enterprise (Thrive Marketing Enterprise) account admins.
NOTE: This option is not enabled by default in your account. To have it enabled, create a case.
Manage domain exclusions
After you have determined which domains to exclude from your send, you can manage them on a dedicated page.
To manage excluded domains:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > Options > Domain Exclusions.
- On the Filter Out Domain List page:
- Type (or paste) the domains, one per line, that you want to exclude. (Domain names can contain letters and/or numerals.)
- Do not include http://www.; specify only the domain name and top-level domain (.net, .org, and others).
- Use the sort options to arrange the domains alphabetically (A–Z) or alphabetically in reverse (Z–A).
- Remove a domain by selecting it and pressing Delete.
- Click Go. A confirmation displays at top of page.
Your excluded domains remain in the box and will be excluded from message sends.
TIP: Return here whenever you want to edit the list.
- The send time for messages may be altered depending on the number of domains that are excluded.
- Upon sending a message, the send page will display the domains that were excluded.
- Excluding domains can impact your final send number.
Why didn't my message send to my entire list?
If Domain Exclusions was enabled and you specified popular domains (e.g., gmail.com and yahoo.com), your send list could have been impacted. Review your Domain Exclusions list and make any necessary adjustments.