The Higher Logic integration with Salesforce-based platforms can leverage the Higher Logic Activity Sync module. There are some note-worthy considerations when determining whether you will send the activity to Salesforce or to an external Webhook.
Higher Logic leverages the Salesforce SOAP API to create XML statements and writes them to a table with a specified schema:
- WhoId (Salesforce’s unique 18-digit identifier)
- ActivityDate (date and time that the activity was triggered on Higher Logic)
- Type (the unique writeback code given to Higher Logic for each kind of activity)
- Description (a specific format on how the information for the activity is displayed)
Every Salesforce environment has a limit to the number of API calls that can be made, as well as storage capacity.
As there are more than 200 types of activities that can be enabled, this is a major consideration for you and your team.
Higher Logic batches the calls made to Salesforce for Activity Sync. These calls are made every 30 minutes to the Salesforce environment. The logic for this is:
- 0 - 200 activities = 1 API Call
If there are 600 activities, Higher Logic will consume 3 API calls.
Create the custom Salesforce object
The Salesforce Classic instructions.
- From the top-right corner of any page in Setup, click Create | Custom Object.
- Specify the following labels.
- Label: HL Community Activity
- Plural Label: HL Community Activities
- Check Allow Reports under Optional Features.
- In the Enter Record Name Label and Format section:
- Record Name: Higher Logic Activities
- Data Type: Auto Number
- Display Format: CA-(000000000)
- Starting Number: 1
- Add four custom fields with the following data types.
- Activity Date (Date/Time)
- Activity Type (Text(255))
- Contact Id (Lookup(Contact))
- Description (Long Text Area)
- Optionally, add this new object to your Contact Layout.