Higher Logic has created a Webhook to allow third parties to collect community activities from a Higher Logic Thrive Community (Thrive Community) site, using the Activity Sync module. Currently, there are ~300 activities tracked in a Thrive Community, and these activities can be used in other systems by taking advantage of this Webhook. These requests can be sent in either JSON (default) or XML, and can include any number of fixed request headers.
After a third party has created an endpoint to accept these activities, they can easily be configured in Thrive Community as an Activity Sync endpoint.
Each community activity sent via the POST to your endpoint will be a single post entry.
Each activity can have different fields included in the post. Fields of interest include:
- ActivityCode - a unique code to define the specific activity.
- ActivityDate - the date and time when the activity occurred.
- ActivityDescription - a short description of the activity.
- ContributorKey - the unique ID, in Higher Logic, of the user who performed the activity.
- ContributorMemberKey - the unique ID, in a related database, of the user who performed the activity (also referred to as the LegacyContactKey).
- LinkUrl - a link to where the related object can be found. More information about the activities that are written can be found on Higher Logic's Support site.
NOTE: Some activity-type specific fields will be sent that can't be identified because they are prepended with pb_. These are Property Bag properties that are intended to hold related information, and are typically ignored because they can't be normalized and are for information purposes only.
Given the high volume of activities that can be generated, Higher Logic cannot support any dynamic authentication. Higher Logic supports security through fixed request header(s), which you should couple with limiting accepted requests to those coming from Higher Logic's outbound gateway (188.8.131.52).
NOTE: This IP restriction might have to be temporarily disabled during implementation.
Create an endpoint in Higher Logic
You must purchase Higher Logic's Activity Sync module in order to use the Webhook to receive Thrive Community activities.
Then you have to create a new endpoint, Webhook Activity Post, in the Admin interface, as described below.
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Settings > External Content > Activity Sync.
- Click Create.
Here you can:
- Add a name for this endpoint instance of Activity Sync
- Choose which activities are included (this can be changed later)
- Add the URL to POST the activities
- Use the default send method (toggle = No), JSON, or choose to send the results in XML format (toggle to Yes).
You can create a case to request that Higher Logic staff add additional headers in the post by inclusing them in the WebhookActivitySynchHeaders Community Configuration parameter in the format:
Test the webhook
You can test webhooks and other types of HTTP requests at http://www.webhook.site/. A unique URL will be created to test against. Higher Logic can set up an instance that points to this site so that you can see sample posts from related activities.