NOTE: This article references "Informz", a previous name of the Higher Logic Communications Professional product.
Incorporating advertisements (ads) in your messages is a great way to develop your organization's business relationships.
In this article, we'll look at how to:
- create an image-based ad,
- insert an image-based ad in a message, and
- run ad-based reports.
Before you begin...
Review the information in this section before you create an image-based ad and insert it in a template or message.
- Make sure the image is a GIF, PNG, or JPG file type.
- Make sure the image does not exceed 90KB.
- Make sure the image name does not contain any spaces or special characters.
- Ensure your image's dimensions are appropriate for the location in your template. For example, if you plan to display the ad in a right sidebar that has a fixed width of 100 pixels, don't use an image wider than 100 pixels.
- Determine whether your image already has padding incorporated into its design or if padding should be added to the template's/message's HTML.
- Test the URL that you want the image to link to when clicked.
Create an image-based ad
- Navigate to Mailings > Advertisements.
- Click Create at the top of the Advertising page.
- In the Add Advertising dialog:
- Specify a name for the ad (required).
- Select a folder to store the ad (required).
- Click Upload to browse to and select the image file (required). The button label then updates to Change.
- Specify the image's target URL in the Link field (required).
- Specify text that describes the ad in the Text field. (This will be used in the Text version of the message.)
- Set the status to Active.
- Click Save.
- Review the Advertising list and verify that your ad is listed.
Insert an image-based ad in a message
You can insert your image-based ad in a message so that when your subscribers click the image, the linked web page automatically opens in a new browser tab.
TIP: Each click of the ad is recorded in Communications Professional and click metrics are available in Advertisements reports.
To insert an ad in a message:
- Navigate to the message in which you want to insert the ad.
- Click the Add Advertisement content area and choose your ad from the list that appears.
Your imaged-based ad displays in the message.
- Save the message.
- Configure the message properties, etc. on the Options tab.
- On the Review & Send tab:
- Preview the Desktop, Mobile, and Online versions of the message; in each, click the ad to verify that it opens the link in a new tab.
- Review the Text Version of the message.
- Run any applicable tests.
- Send a test version of the message to yourself for review and testing. (Recommended)
- Send a copy of the message to others for review. (Recommended)
- Schedule and send the message.
If you are including advertisements in your messages, it's a good idea to review how those ads are being received. If you're paid to advertise for other organizations/businesses in your messages...it's imperative!
Communications Professional has two reports that are dedicated to the "performance" of advertisements in your messages:
NOTE: The Summary and Mailings with Ads reports are accessible in the Message Summary Report. The Advertising report is accessible on the Advertising list page.
All of these reports are ideal for internal reviews of your advertising successes and weak spots so that you can adapt your practices if necessary. They're also easy to share (via a direct-email option or by exporting, refer to Share the reports, below) with current advertisers, as well as prospects who might want to review historical performance data while they consider...
Access the reports
To access the Summary and Mailings with Ads reports:
- Navigate to:
- Mailing > Reports > Mailing Summary Report or
- Mailing > View and click the Reports button in the upper right.
- Set whatever filters you want to apply in the Filter Messages panel and click Update Results.
- Click the View Reports tab.
- Click the plus sign (+) next to Advertisements in the Reports panel.
- Click a report title to have its data populate the section to the right.
TIP: After reviewing the report descriptions, learn how to Share the reports.
The following table describes the list-management options that are available above the report results.
TIP: Click a column header to sort on that column; click again to reverse the sort order.
|Search||Open a report-specific popup. Click the dropdowns to select your criteria and click Find.|
|Reset||Clear any search criteria that you have applied and restore the original list.|
|Columns||Open the column-chooser popup. Add and remove columns; drag to reposition them; click Ok to save and exit.|
|Export||Export the top-most 10,000 rows of the report into Microsoft Excel. To export additional rows, use the search to extract subsets of the report results. Refer to Share the reports, below.|
This report is advertisement-centric; it summarizes each advertisement (e.g., clicks, number of mailings) as a unique row in a list. At a glance, you can quickly see how your ads are performing overall.
- Click the plus sign (+) next to the name of an ad to expand the row and see which messages the ad was in and how it performed in each of those messages.
NOTE: If an ad is inserted in multiple messages, all of those messages will be listed when the row is expanded.
Mailings with Ads report
This report is message-centric; it provides data about each mailing as a unique row in a list. At a glance, you can quickly see how your messages that contained ads are performing.
This brief report is advertisement-centric and focuses on:
- the date and time that the ad was clicked,
- the message the ad was in when it was clicked, and
- the email address of anyone who clicked the ad.
To access the Advertising report:
- Navigate to the Advertising page.
- Hover on the menu next to an ad and select Report.
The popup displays the three metrics mentioned above.
Share the reports
Communications Professional has made it easy to get these advertising data to your colleagues (for review and analysis) and to your sponsors (for fiscal reasons).
There are two ways to share the Advertisements reports: export and share.
To export a report (all three reports):
- Click the Export button above the list.
- When prompted, click Download Excel File.
- Navigate to where you want to store the report file, give it a memorable name, and click Save.
TIP: Navigate to the saved file and review it.
NOTE: Best practices indicate giving each export file a unique name because the default file name for these three reports is InformzReport_<series of numerals>.xls.
NOTE: The report file that is generated from the Advertisement Summary report includes only the top-level (Advertisement) row of that report; it does not include the "hidden" rows. If you want the message-level data, export the Mailings with Ads report.
To share a report (Summary and Mailings with Ads reports only):
- Click the Share button in the gray banner area above the list.
- In the Share Report dialog, specify (up to 100) email addresses of report recipients and optionally add a message.
- Click Share. A confirmation message displays.
The specified recipients will receive an email message with a link to the report.