NOTE: This article references "Informz", a previous name of the Higher Logic Informz product.
Incorporating advertisements (ads) in your messages is a great way to develop your organization's business relationships.
There are three steps to adding advertisements to messages and each step is done in a different area of Informz.
- Create an image-based ad (in Messages > Advertisements);
- Configure a template for advertisements (in Messages > Templates); and
- Insert an image-based ad in a new or existing message (in Messages > List).
Before you begin...
Review the information in this section before you create an image-based ad and insert it in a template or message.
- Make sure the image is a GIF, PNG, or JPG file type.
- Make sure the image does not exceed 90KB.
- Make sure the image name does not contain any spaces or special characters.
- Ensure your image's dimensions are appropriate for the location in your template. For example, if you plan to display the ad in a right sidebar that has a fixed width of 100 pixels, don't use an image wider than 100 pixels.
- Determine whether your image already has padding incorporated into its design or if padding should be added to the template's/message's HTML.
- Test the URL that you want the image to link to when clicked.
Step 1 - Create an image-based ad
To create an image-based ad:
- Navigate to Messages > Advertisements.
- Click Create at the top of the Advertising page.
- In the Add Advertising dialog:
- Specify a name for the ad (required).
- Select a folder to store the ad (required).
- Click Upload to browse to and select the image file (required). The button label then updates to Change.
- Specify the image's target URL in the Link field (required).
- Specify text that describes the ad in the Text field. (This will be used in the Text version of the message.)
- Set the status to Active.
- Click Save.
- Review the Advertising list and verify that your ad is listed.
Step 2 - Configure a template for advertisements
After creating an ad, you have to configure a template with an Advertisement content block. This can then be populated with an advertisement when a message is created, based on this template.
NOTE: In order to add an advertisement to a message, the message must be based on a template that has been configured with an Advertisement content block.
To configure a template for advertisements:
- Navigate to Messages > Templates.
- Edit an existing template (select template and click Edit) or create a template (click the plus sign to the right of the page title).
- On the Design tab of the Designer, click the Build sub-tab and then click to expand the Structure section.
- Click and drag a Message Content block from the left palette to the Designer "canvas."
- Click to select the Message Content block (the left palette updates to Advertisement Properties).
- Change Content Type to Advertisement and, optionally, select a number of advertisements from the dropdown.
- Save the template.
Step 3 - Insert an image-based ad in a message
You can insert your image-based ad in a message so that when your subscribers click the image, the linked web page automatically opens in a new browser tab.
TIP: Each click of the ad is recorded in Informz and click metrics are available in Advertisements Reports.
To insert an ad in a message:
- Navigate to the message in which you want to insert the ad.
- Click the Add Advertisement content area and choose your ad from the list that appears.
Your imaged-based ad displays in the message.
- Save the message.
- Configure the message properties, etc. on the Options tab.
- On the Review & Send tab:
- Preview the Desktop, Mobile, and Online versions of the message; in each, click the ad to verify that it opens the link in a new tab.
- Review the Text Version of the message.
- Run any applicable tests.
- Send a test version of the message to yourself for review and testing. (Recommended)
- Send a copy of the message to others for review. (Recommended)
- Schedule and send the message.
If you are including advertisements in your messages, it's a good idea to review how those ads are being received. Informz has several reports that are dedicated to the "performance" of advertisements in your messages; see Advertisements Reports.