If you've sent a message that contains links, it's possible that a link's destination (i.e., its URL) might have to be updated in the message. The system gives you the ability to change a link in a Sent message with the Emergency Link Change option.
IMPORTANT: The Emergency Link Change option works only on links that are being "click-tracked." If the Disable Tracking box was checked when a link was created, the link's clicks are not being tracked and this option can't be used to update it. See Hyperlinks in Messages to learn more.
Why change a link?
It is possible that a link would change, for example, if an organization changed domains or renamed one of its website pages. Of course, the most common reason is that the wrong URL was specified when a link was inserted.
EXAMPLE: If the Contact page (e.g., www.OurOrganization/Contact) was redesigned and info (such as updated hours and a new email address) was added, the page might get a new URL (e.g., www.OurOrganization/Contact-Us).
How it works
NOTE: This option is limited to updating existing links that are being tracked. You cannot use it to add a link to a message. To add a link to a message, edit the message as described in Manage Messages.
Let's explore some of the scenarios that might be encountered when changing a link, and the expected results.
EXAMPLE: A message with a link was sent and then the link was updated via the Emergency Link Change option.
Scenario 1: Mary had opened the message and clicked the link (i.e., before the link was updated). If Mary opens the message and clicks the link again, she will be taken to the original (now outdated) link destination.
Scenario 2: Jane had received, but had not opened the message before the link was updated. If Jane opens the message and clicks the link, she will be taken to the updated link destination.
Scenario 3: The message is re-sent, but to a fresh batch of Contacts. All Contacts who click the link will be taken to the updated link destination.
Change a link
It's important to note that you can change a link in two places in a message and that these changes have to be done individually. You can change links in:
- the body/content of the message and
- the online version of the message.
TIP: Both of these link-change procedures are made on the Sent Messages list. The steps are slightly different and are described in the sections that follow.
Access the Sent list
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > List.
- To the right of the page title, click the down arrow and select Sent.
- On the Sent Messages list page, select the message that requires the link change.
- Refer to the following sections to change message body and online version links.
Change a link in the message body
- In the upper right, click More > Emergency Link Change.
- In the dialog, specify the new URL for the link and, optionally, specify a Name.
- If you've selected a message that does not have any links, the Link URL and Link Name fields will not be present.
- If you've selected a message that has several links, one Link URL and Link Name field displays for each link.
In this case, you can simultaneously update multiple links.
- Click Update.
The link is changed in the body of the message.
Change a link in the online version
- In the upper right, click Edit to open Message Designer.
- In the upper right, click Edit Message.
- On the confirmation dialog, click Edit Message.
TIP: A message indicates "You are editing this message, which will update the Online Version."
- Update the link and then click Save.
The link is changed in the online version of the message.