Video is one of the most effective ways to engage your message recipients. Including a link to a video is one of the most reliable ways to ensure that engagement.
The template and message designers in Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Professional include a story type—the Video story type—that you can use to insert links to videos in your templates and messages.
NOTE: The Video story type is exclusive to the Template Designer 2 (TD2) and Message Designer 2 (MD2) designers.
The Video story type makes it easy for you to add a link to a video that is hosted on either YouTube or Vimeo and to then customize the link with your own:
- alternative text, and
- styled caption text.
Templates vs. Messages
As with all template and message designs, it's important to note that:
- Videos that are added to a template are included in all messages that are based on that template.
- Videos that are added to a message are unique to that message; they display only to recipients of that message.
Add a Video story
To add a Video story to a template or message:
- In TD2, drag the Video story element into the template.
In MD2, click the Add Content button and then select the Video story.
- On the Content tab, complete the fields as described in the table below.
|Video URL - Paste (or specify) the URL of the video.|
|Thumbnail - This will auto-populate an image from the linked YouTube or Vimeo video.
NOTE: This image, with a super-imposed "play" button, displays in the message.
|Alt text - Use this optional free-text field to include alternative text for the video placeholder; refer to Alternative text in your messages, below, for information.|
|For mobile version - Use this dropdown to choose whether to: use the same (Thumbnail) image; not display an image; or use a different image (navigate to and choose it).
|Add image caption - Check the box to add a caption to display below the image. In the fields, specify the caption text and choose a style for the text.
NOTE: Your caption displays in real time in the design canvas so you can preview and modify it as you work.
- When you have completed the Content tab, save your template/message.
Other Designer tabs
You can configure other optional settings for your Video story.
- Click the Style tab if you want to set the alignment of the video player.
Targeting tab (messages/MD2 only)
- Click the Targeting tab if you want to choose select groups (as Target Groups) as the only recipients of this story.
Alternative text in your messages
Alternative text is a "supporting feature" of web-based images and a basic tenet of good accessible web design.
When you use alternative text in your messages, the text that you specify:
- displays in place of the image (if the inserted image fails to load and for recipients who have images turned off) and
- is read by screen-reading tools to describe the image to the visually impaired.
Because your image is actually a decorative link to a video, make sure that it's alternative text clearly describes its purpose.
EXAMPLE: For this video-link image:
"Rider leaning motorcycle around turn with fans in background" accurately describes the image but is not helpful as alternative text. Whereas:
"Link to motorcycle racing highlights video" is a much better indicator of the image's purpose: it links to a video about motorcycle racing.