Built in to the Member Management pricing system are discount codes which allow your organization to offer discounts on your membership offerings. This is a great way to offer an incentive to your users to become members.
Watch the video
TIP: Check out the Higher Logic Academy Paths page for product- and role-specific videos!
Access your discount codes
- In the Admin Toolbar, click Admin.
- Navigate to Membership > Discount Codes.
Create a discount code
- Click the (+) to the right of the page title.
- Complete the fields on the dialog. Refer to the table below for descriptions of each.
- Click Save to create the discount code.
|Give your discount code an appropriate name.
|Provide a description applicable to the code's purpose/audience.
|The text you enter here is the actual discount code users will need to enter during checkout.
|The number that you specify for Amount Off works in conjunction with the Discount Type options. If this field has a value of 20, and for Discount Type you select:
NOTE: Only whole numbers are accepted in the Amount off field. If you specify, for example, 5.4, it will be rounded (up or down) to the nearest whole number upon save (in this case, down to 5).
|Use these two options to set the window during which the discount code will be available.
|Associated Membership Types
|Your Membership Types are the Individual and Group memberships that your users can purchase to obtain an associated benefit. The discount will be applied to any Membership Types selected here.
Edit discount codes
You can edit only the following aspects of a discount code:
- its name,
- its description,
- its end date,
- and the Membership Types it applies to.
NOTE: You cannot edit the Code, Amount Off, and Start Date fields for two reasons:
- to preserve data history and integrity, and
- to prevent discount codes being reused. This practice of repurposing codes can lead to confusion.
Deactivate discount codes
There are several ways a discount code can become deactivated:
- Automatically when its End Date is reached.
- Manually, by editing it and setting the End Date to a past date.
- Manually, by selecting it and clicking Deactivate.
View your deactivated discount codes
All deactivated discount codes are stored and managed on the Inactive list, available via the list-selector dropdown shown below.
Reactivate a discount code
Reactivating a discount code is as simple as setting its End Date to any day beyond today's date. If you do, the discount code will become active and be available in the Active list.
Discounts can be a good way to encourage your users to become members.
However, it's important to remember that a discount is applicable to the current purchase only. A discount does not apply to:
- future membership purchases (whether of the same or a different Membership Type), or
- auto-renewals of a current membership.
When a member applies a discount code to a purchase, a disclaimer on the page (shown below) indicates that the discount is applicable to the current purchase only.
When a member is enrolled in the Auto-Renewal feature and their membership is auto-renewed, the discount is not applied to the membership price.
Can I delete a discount code?
- You can only deactivate discount codes. This moves them to the Inactive list to keep your Active codes clutter free and organized.
- Not being able to delete discount codes ensures data history and integrity are preserved.