A "preference-management" page is a web-based form that you make available to contacts so that they can self-manage their communications preferences with your Higher Logic Thrive Marketing Enterprise (Thrive Marketing Enterprise) account. The management of each contact's preferences is driven by their email address, which is used to ensure that the correct contact's preferences are updated.
The actual form, when published, is fairly rudimentary: a title and introduction, some instructions, a few checkboxes, and a Submit button. On the form, users can either unsubscribe from all messages or "cherry pick" which messages they want to opt out of.
This article describes how to access and manage your Preference Management Pages on a single list page.
The creation process and the edit options are described in Create & Edit Preference Management Pages.
Preference Management Pages notes
You can create multiple preference-management pages and then set one of them as the default for your account — and you can change which is the default whenever you want.
The link to the preference-management page has to be in an email message in order for your contacts to be able to manage their preferences. The email-based link can be:
- in a one-off message,
- in a message that is based on a template that hosts the link, or
- in a message that is in a campaign.
A preference-management page can be:
- self-hosted (such as on your organization's website) or
- hosted by Higher Logic.
Preference Management Page permissions
In order to be able to create and work with Preference Management Pages, a user must have the Preference Pages permission. To set this permission:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Settings > Users.
- Select a user and click Permissions (upper right).
- Click Contacts > Subscription/Suppression and check the box for Preference Pages.
- Click Save.
Access your Preference Management Pages
The Preference Management Page lists all of your forms and is where you manage them (create, edit, set the default) for your account.
NOTE: The page lists "old" forms (i.e., those that were created by Higher Logic staff) and "new" forms (i.e., those that were created with the Preference Management Page designer); either can be set as the default. Only "new" forms can be edited, though.
To access your Preference Management Pages:
- Access the Admin interface.
- Navigate to Messages > Manage Subscriptions > Preference Pages.
The Preference Management Pages page displays all of your account's preference-management pages.
- By default, the list is sorted chronologically (by most recent activity) on the Modified column.
- "Modified" can be the Preference Management Page being created, edited, renamed, and/or set as the default.
TIP: Click a column header to sort on that column; click again to reverse the sort order. Up and down arrows indicate the current sort column and sort order (note the blue box in the image).
- The Default column displays a check mark (✔) for the page that is currently set as the default.
- Click an icon (note the red boxes in the image) to learn more about Editable and Status.
- The buttons in the upper right (note the green box in the image) are enabled only when a page in the list is selected.
- Use the search feature in the upper right to quickly find preference management pages.
Live vs. Working pages
A Preference Management Page can be either Live or Working.
A page is Live if there is a link to it in:
- a template that was the basis for a message that was sent,
- a message that was sent,
- a message in a published campaign, or
- any campaign that has actions that are based on link clicks.
NOTE: A Live page cannot be reverted to Working due to the reasons listed above. You can, instead, archive a Live page by hiding it on the Settings > Assets Admin page; this removes the link to it from your templates and messages.
Edit a Live page
You can edit a Live page and then republish it.
TIP: You can have a published page that is not linked in any of the ways listed above and is, therefore, not Live so it won't be visible. You can ensure that a published page is not linked by: i) temporarily removing it from its host template/message or ii) not sending any messages in which it is hosted while you're editing.
To learn how to hide a Preference Management Page and other assets, see Manage Enterprise Assets.
A Working page is considered to be "in progress" and, as such, there are no limitations or restrictions on when or how you can make changes to it.
Manage your Preference Management Pages
As you add Preference Management Pages in your account, you can manage them individually on the Preference Management Pages page. The options are in the upper right of the page.
TIP: To manage the list of Preference Management Pages, refer to the series of bullets in Access your Preference Management Pages, above.
- Click a Preference Management Page to select it and then click Edit.
- Make changes to the configuration and/or properties of the page.
The edit options are described in Create & Edit Preference Management Pages.
- Click a Preference Management Page to select it and then click Rename.
- Specify a different name for the page and click Save.
- Review the entry in the list to confirm the change.
Set As Default
One of your Preference Management Pages can be the default for your account.
- Click a Preference Management Page to select it and then click Set As Default.
- Check the Default column for the page to confirm the change.
Default page notes
- As the default, any links (in messages/templates/campaigns) to your Preference Management Page will link to the page that is set as the default.
- The URL of the default page will be loaded to the webpage that was configured in the Email Link Placeholder field on the Settings tab.
- Only a Live page can be set as the default.
- The default page must be published. You can check this by editing the page and verifying that the Publish box is checked, as shown below.
Click the magnifying glass icon in the upper right to open the search field.
- The search is initiated on the first typed character. The list automatically refreshes as you type, and the results become more refined with additional characters.
- Click the X to clear the search field and restore the original, full list.
- Learn how to Create & Edit Preference Management Pages.
- Learn how to create and manage Message Categories.
- Learn how to hide a Preference Management Page in Manage Enterprise Assets.